Generic Name: nizatidine (ni-ZA-ti-dine)
Brand Name: Axid
Nizatidine solution is used for:
Treating and preventing ulcers. It is also used to treat gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and to treat and maintain healing of erosive esophagitis. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your health care provider.
Nizatidine solution is a histamine H2antagonist. It works by reducing acid in the stomach by blocking one of the chemicals (histamine) that stimulates the production of stomach acid.
Do NOT use nizatidine solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in nizatidine solution or other H2 antagonists (eg, famotidine)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using nizatidine solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with nizatidine solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines or other substances
- if you have kidney or liver problems
- if you have a history of the blood disease porphyria
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with nizatidine solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Ketoconazole because effectiveness may be decreased by nizatidine solution
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if nizatidine solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use nizatidine solution:
Use nizatidine solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Nizatidine solution maybe taken with or without food.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your health care provider or pharmacist if you are unsure of how to measure the dose.
- Continue to use nizatidine solution even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- Antacids may be taken as needed to help relieve stomach pain, unless your health care provider instructed otherwise.
- If you miss a dose of nizatidine solution, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use nizatidine solution.
Important safety information:
- Nizatidine solution may cause dizziness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to nizatidine solution. Using nizatidine solution alone, with other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or to perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Use nizatidine solution with extreme caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Use nizatidine solution with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 12 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking nizatidine solution, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using nizatidine solution during pregnancy. Nizatidine solution is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking nizatidine solution.
Possible side effects of nizatidine solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Diarrhea; dizziness; headache.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include difficulty breathing; fast heartbeat; restlessness; tremor; vomiting.Proper storage of nizatidine solution:
Store nizatidine solution at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep nizatidine solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about nizatidine solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Nizatidine solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take nizatidine solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about nizatidine solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to nizatidine solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using nizatidine solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.