The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Generic Name: amiodarone (A-mee-OH-da-rone)
Brand Name: Nexterone
Nexterone solution is used for:
Treating and preventing certain types of life-threatening recurrent irregular heartbeat in patients who cannot take the oral form of Nexterone solution or who do not respond well to other medicines. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Nexterone solution is an antiarrhythmic. It works by helping the heart to regain a normal rhythm.
Do NOT use Nexterone solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Nexterone solution, including iodine, corn, or corn products
- you have moderate to severe heart block (unless you have a pacemaker), very slow heartbeat, or shock due to serious heart problems
- you take any medicine that may increase the risk of a certain type of irregular heartbeat (prolonged QT interval). Check with your doctor if you are unsure if any of your medicines may increase the risk of this type of irregular heartbeat.
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Nexterone solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Nexterone solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have abnormal liver function tests or a history of liver problems; lung or breathing problems; other heart problems (eg, heart block, slow or irregular heartbeat); low blood pressure; thyroid problems; low blood potassium, magnesium, or calcium levels; or eye or vision problems
- if you have recently had severe or persistent diarrhea
- if you will be having surgery or receiving anesthesia, or if you have an implanted pacemaker or defibrillator
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Nexterone solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Many prescription and nonprescription medicines (eg, used for allergies, bacterial and fungal infections, blood thinning, cancer, constipation, cough, depression or other mental or mood problems, enlarged prostate, erectile dysfunction, heartburn or reflux problems, hepatitis C infection, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, HIV infection, immune system suppression, inflammation, irregular heartbeat or other heart problems, multiple sclerosis, nausea and vomiting, pain, seizures, stomach or bowel problems, Tourette syndrome), multivitamin products, and herbal or dietary supplements may interact with Nexterone solution. Check with your doctor to see if Nexterone solution may interact with any other medicine that you are taking.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Nexterone solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Nexterone solution:
Use Nexterone solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Nexterone solution is given as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. Ask your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist any questions that you may have about Nexterone solution.
- Do not eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice while you use Nexterone solution.
- If you miss a dose of Nexterone solution, contact your doctor right away.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Nexterone solution.
Important safety information:
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Nexterone solution before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery, including laser surgery on the eye.
- Nexterone solution may cause dizziness. This effect may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Nexterone solution with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Nexterone solution stays in your body for some time if you have to stop taking it. If you stop taking Nexterone solution, be sure to tell your doctor and pharmacist that you took Nexterone solution before starting other medicines. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Severe and sometimes fatal lung or breathing problems have been reported with Nexterone solution. Contact your doctor right away if you develop shortness of breath, chest pain, wheezing, fever, or cough, or if you begin coughing up blood.
- Nexterone solution may cause vision problems that may lead to permanent blindness. Contact your doctor right away if you experience vision changes (eg, seeing halos, blurred vision, loss of vision).
- Limit alcoholic beverages while taking Nexterone solution.
- Tell your doctor if you have severe or persistent diarrhea while you are using Nexterone solution. You will need to take care not to become dehydrated.
- New or worsening irregular heartbeat, life-threatening lung problems, and serious liver problems may occur with Nexterone solution. Therefore, it should only be given to patients with life-threatening heartbeats who cannot tolerate other medicines.
- Severe skin reactions (Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis) may happen. They can cause serious health problems that may not go away, and sometimes death. Get medical help right away if you have signs like red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin (with or without fever); red or irritated eyes; or sores in your mouth, throat, nose, or eyes.
- Your doctor may want you to check your pulse rate every day while you take Nexterone solution. Learn how to monitor your pulse.
- Carry an ID card at all times that says you use Nexterone solution.
- Lab tests, including electrocardiograms (ECGs), blood pressure, chest x-rays, lung function tests, liver function tests, thyroid function tests, and eye exams, may be performed while you use Nexterone solution. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Nexterone solution with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially slow heartbeat.
- Nexterone solution should not be used in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Nexterone solution has been shown to cause harm to the fetus. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Nexterone solution while you are pregnant. Nexterone solution is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Nexterone solution.
Possible side effects of Nexterone solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing or swallowing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, throat, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); chest, jaw, or arm pain; confusion; cough; coughing up blood; decreased urination; fainting; fast or slow heartbeat; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; joint pain; muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness (especially with fever or unusual tiredness); new or worsening irregular heartbeat; severe or persistent dizziness; shortness of breath; sudden, severe nausea or vomiting; swelling of the hands, ankles, legs, or feet; symptoms of liver problems (eg, dark urine, loss of appetite, pale stools, stomach pain, yellowing of the eyes or skin); symptoms of thyroid problems (eg, feeling of being unusually hot or cold, increased sweating, mental or mood changes, numbness or tingling of the hands or feet, menstrual changes, swelling of your neck); unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual tiredness or weakness; unusual weight changes; vision changes (eg, seeing halos, blurred vision, loss of vision); wheezing.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Nexterone solution:
Nexterone solution is handled and stored by a health care provider. You will not store it at home. Keep all medicines out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Nexterone solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Nexterone solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Nexterone solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Nexterone solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Nexterone solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Nexterone solution.