Generic Name: Capsaicin and Menthol Patch (kap SAY sin & MEN thol)
Brand Name: Aflexeryl-MC, Alivio, Capsiderm, Captracin, Icy Hot PM, ...show all 15 brand names.IcyHot PM Medicated Patch, MaC Patch, Medrox, Neuvaxin, Qroxin, Releevia, RelyyT, Renovo, Sinelee, Solaice
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 24, 2019.
Uses of Neuvaxin:
- It is used to ease muscle and joint aches and pain.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Neuvaxin?
- If you are allergic to Neuvaxin (capsaicin and menthol patch); any part of Neuvaxin (capsaicin and menthol patch); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you are using another drug like this one. If you are not sure, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Neuvaxin (capsaicin and menthol patch).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Neuvaxin (capsaicin and menthol patch) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Neuvaxin?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Neuvaxin (capsaicin and menthol patch). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not use coverings (bandages, dressings) unless told to do so by the doctor.
- Avoid use of heat sources (such as sunlamps, tanning beds, heating pads, electric blankets, heat lamps, saunas, hot tubs, heated waterbeds). Avoid long, hot baths or sunbathing. Your temperature may rise and cause too much drug to pass into your body.
- Take Neuvaxin (capsaicin and menthol patch) off of the skin if very bad burning or itching happens.
- This medicine may cause harm if chewed or swallowed. This includes used patches. If Neuvaxin (capsaicin and menthol patch) has been put in the mouth, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Neuvaxin) best taken?
Use Neuvaxin (capsaicin and menthol patch) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Do not take Neuvaxin (capsaicin and menthol patch) by mouth. Use on your skin only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
- Clean affected part before use. Make sure to dry well.
- You may wear gloves when putting on.
- Do not put on irritated skin.
- Do not put on cuts, scrapes, or damaged skin.
- Do not bathe, shower, or swim right after putting on.
- Do not put on right after a shower or bath.
- If Neuvaxin (capsaicin and menthol patch) gets in the eyes, rinse with cool water.
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- Put on clean, dry, healthy skin.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you use Neuvaxin (capsaicin and menthol patch) on a regular basis, put on a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not put on 2 doses or extra doses.
- Many times Neuvaxin (capsaicin and menthol patch) is used on an as needed basis. Do not use more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
What are some other side effects of Neuvaxin?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Burning or stinging feeling. Most of the time, this will go away after a few days.
- Skin irritation.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Neuvaxin?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from heat and sunlight.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Neuvaxin (capsaicin and menthol patch), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.