Generic Name: Phenylephrine (Nasal) (fen il EF rin)
Brand Name: 4-Way Fast Acting, 4-Way Menthol, Afrin Childrens, Nasal Four, Neo-Synephrine Cold & Sinus, ...show all 7 brand names.Neo-Synephrine, Rhinall
Uses of Neo-Synephrine Cold & Sinus:
- It is used to treat nose stuffiness.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Neo-Synephrine Cold & Sinus?
- If you have an allergy to phenylephrine or any other part of this medicine (Neo-Synephrine Cold & Sinus).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have taken certain drugs used for low mood (depression) like isocarboxazid, phenelzine, or tranylcypromine or drugs used for Parkinson's disease like selegiline or rasagiline in the last 14 days. Taking this medicine (Neo-Synephrine Cold & Sinus) within 14 days of those drugs can cause very bad high blood pressure.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with this medicine (Neo-Synephrine Cold & Sinus).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine (Neo-Synephrine Cold & Sinus) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Neo-Synephrine Cold & Sinus?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine (Neo-Synephrine Cold & Sinus). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not use for more than 3 days. Using this medicine (Neo-Synephrine Cold & Sinus) too often or for longer than you have been told may cause nose stuffiness to happen again or get worse.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If this medicine (Neo-Synephrine Cold & Sinus) is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this medicine (Neo-Synephrine Cold & Sinus) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Neo-Synephrine Cold & Sinus) best taken?
Use this medicine (Neo-Synephrine Cold & Sinus) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- For the nose only.
- Blow your nose before use.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you use this medicine (Neo-Synephrine Cold & Sinus) on a regular basis, use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not use 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times this medicine (Neo-Synephrine Cold & Sinus) is used on an as needed basis. Do not use more often than told by the doctor.
See also: Dosage Information (in more detail)
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
What are some other side effects of Neo-Synephrine Cold & Sinus?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Nose irritation.
- Runny nose.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Neo-Synephrine Cold & Sinus?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about this medicine (Neo-Synephrine Cold & Sinus), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine (Neo-Synephrine Cold & Sinus) or any other medicine. Only the healthcare provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for a specific patient. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine (Neo-Synephrine Cold & Sinus). It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine (Neo-Synephrine Cold & Sinus). This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from the healthcare provider. You must talk with the healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine (Neo-Synephrine Cold & Sinus).
Review Date: March 7, 2018
More about phenylephrine nasal
- Side Effects
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 24 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: nasal antihistamines and decongestants