Generic Name: Neomycin Oral Solution (nee oh MYE sin)
Brand Name: Neo-Fradin
Medically reviewed: April 4, 2018
- This medicine may cause kidney problems, nerve problems, and hearing problems (like long-lasting hearing loss). This could even happen at normal doses. The risk of these problems may be higher if you already have kidney or hearing problems, if you get high doses of Neo-Fradin (neomycin oral solution), or if you get Neo-Fradin (neomycin oral solution) for a long time. The risk may also be higher in older people, infants, or people who are dehydrated. Hearing loss can happen even after Neo-Fradin (neomycin oral solution) is stopped. If you already have kidney problems or hearing problems, tell your doctor. Your doctor will watch you closely and may run hearing and kidney tests. Talk with your doctor.
- Do not use Neo-Fradin (neomycin oral solution) if you are taking or have recently taken any drugs that can cause nerve, kidney, or hearing problems. This may be drugs like amphotericin B, bacitracin, cephaloridine, cisplatin, colistin, cyclosporine, ethacrynic acid, furosemide, paromomycin, polymyxin B, vancomycin, viomycin, or other drugs like this one. There are many other drugs that can do this. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
- Very bad muscle problems and very bad breathing problems have happened with Neo-Fradin (neomycin oral solution). The risk of these problems may be higher if you are getting certain drugs used to put you to sleep or to relax your muscles. The risk is also higher if you are getting a certain type of blood transfusion. Talk with your doctor.
Uses of Neo-Fradin:
- It is used to prevent infections during bowel surgery.
- It is used to lower the signs of hepatic coma.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Neo-Fradin?
- If you have an allergy to neomycin or any other part of Neo-Fradin (neomycin oral solution).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have any of these health problems: Bowel block or ulcers in your stomach or bowels.
- If you are breast-feeding or plan to breast-feed.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Neo-Fradin (neomycin oral solution).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Neo-Fradin (neomycin oral solution) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Neo-Fradin?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Neo-Fradin (neomycin oral solution). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Do not use longer than you have been told. A second infection may happen.
- Use with care in children. Talk with the doctor.
- If you are 65 or older, use Neo-Fradin (neomycin oral solution) with care. You could have more side effects.
- This medicine may cause harm to the unborn baby if you take it while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Neo-Fradin (neomycin oral solution) while you are pregnant.
How is this medicine (Neo-Fradin) best taken?
Use Neo-Fradin (neomycin oral solution) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
- Drink lots of noncaffeine liquids unless told to drink less liquid by your doctor.
- Take Neo-Fradin (neomycin oral solution) at the same time of day.
- To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
- Keep taking Neo-Fradin (neomycin oral solution) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with Neo-Fradin (neomycin oral solution). If there is none, ask the pharmacist for a device to measure Neo-Fradin (neomycin oral solution).
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
See also: Dosage Information (in more detail)
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of kidney problems like unable to pass urine, change in how much urine is passed, blood in the urine, or a big weight gain.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Ringing or roaring in the ears.
- Hearing loss.
- Muscle weakness.
- A burning, numbness, or tingling feeling that is not normal.
- Change in balance.
What are some other side effects of Neo-Fradin?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Loose stools (diarrhea).
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Neo-Fradin?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Neo-Fradin (neomycin oral solution), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Neo-Fradin (neomycin)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: aminoglycosides
Other brands: Neo-Tab