The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Neo DM drops
Generic Name: chlorpheniramine/dextromethorphan/phenylephrine (KLOR-fen-IR-a-meen/DEX-troe-meth-OR-fan/FEN-il-EF-rin)
Brand Name: Examples include Bronkids and Neo DM
Neo DM drops are used for:
Relieving symptoms of sinus congestion, runny nose, sneezing, itchy nose or throat, itchy or watery eyes, and cough due to colds, upper respiratory tract infections, and allergies. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Neo DM drops are a decongestant, antihistamine, and cough suppressant combination. The decongestant works by constricting blood vessels and reducing swelling in the nasal passages. The antihistamine works by blocking the action of histamine, which helps reduce symptoms such as watery eyes and sneezing. The cough suppressant works in the brain to help decrease the cough reflex to reduce a dry cough.
Do NOT use Neo DM drops if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Neo DM drops
- you have severe or uncontrolled high blood pressure, severe heart blood vessel disease, rapid heartbeat, or severe heart problems
- you are unable to urinate or are having an asthma attack
- you are taking droxidopa or sodium oxybate (GHB), or you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Neo DM drops:
Some medical conditions may interact with Neo DM drops. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of adrenal gland problems (eg, an adrenal gland tumor), heart problems (eg, fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; heart disease), high or low blood pressure, low blood volume, diabetes, blood vessel problems, a stroke, glaucoma, increased pressure in the eye, trouble sleeping, or thyroid problems
- if you have a history of asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or other lung or breathing problems (eg, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, sleep apnea); chronic cough; or if your cough produces large amounts of mucus
- if you have a history of stomach or bowel ulcers; a blockage of your stomach, bladder, or bowel; kidney problems; an enlarged prostate or other prostate problems; or trouble urinating
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Neo DM drops. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Digoxin or droxidopa because the risk of irregular heartbeat or a heart attack may be increased
- Abiraterone, beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, tolcapone), furazolidone, linezolid, MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) (eg, citalopram, fluoxetine), sodium oxybate (GHB), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may increase the risk of Neo DM drops's side effects
- Bromocriptine or hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Neo DM drops
- Guanadrel, guanethidine, mecamylamine, methyldopa, or reserpine because their effectiveness may be decreased by Neo DM drops
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Neo DM drops may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Neo DM drops:
Use Neo DM drops as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Neo DM drops by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Use the dropper that comes with Neo DM drops to measure your dose. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Neo DM drops and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Neo DM drops.
Important safety information:
- Neo DM drops may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Neo DM drops with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using Neo DM drops.
- Check with your doctor before you use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Neo DM drops; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Do not take diet or appetite control medicines while you are taking Neo DM drops without checking with your doctor.
- Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has a decongestant, antihistamine, or cough suppressant in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do not use Neo DM drops for a cough with a lot of mucus. Do not use it for a long-term cough (eg, caused by asthma, emphysema, smoking). However, you may use it for these conditions if your doctor tells you to.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 5 to 7 days; if they go away and come back; if they get worse; if they occur along with a fever, rash, or persistent headache; or if new symptoms occur, check with your doctor.
- Neo DM drops may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Neo DM drops. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Neo DM drops may interfere with skin allergy tests. If you are scheduled for a skin test, talk to your doctor. You may need to stop taking Neo DM drops for a few days before the tests.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Neo DM drops before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use Neo DM drops with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially confusion, dizziness, drowsiness, dry mouth, nervousness, sleeplessness, and trouble urinating.
- Caution is advised when using Neo DM drops in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially excitability.
- Different brands of Neo DM drops may have different dosing instructions for CHILDREN. They may also be indicated for different age ranges of children. Follow the dosing instructions that your doctor has given you. If you are unsure of the dose to give to your child or if you are unsure if Neo DM drops are appropriate for your child, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Neo DM drops while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Neo DM drops.
Possible side effects of Neo DM drops:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Anxiety; constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth, nose, or throat; excitability; headache; loss of appetite; nausea; trouble sleeping; upset stomach; vomiting; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); difficulty urinating or inability to urinate; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; hallucinations; loss of coordination; mental or mood changes (eg, depression, nervousness); seizures; severe dryness of mouth, nose, or throat; severe or persistent dizziness, drowsiness, light-headedness, or headache; severe or persistent trouble sleeping; shortness of breath; tremor; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual tiredness or weakness; vision problems (eg, double vision, severe or persistent blurred vision).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch .
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; flushing; hallucinations; mental or mood changes; muscle spasms; seizures; severe dizziness, light-headedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; trouble breathing; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of Neo DM drops:
Store Neo DM drops between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Neo DM drops out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Neo DM drops, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Neo DM drops are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Neo DM drops or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Neo DM drops. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Neo DM drops. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Neo DM drops.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.