Generic Name: prenatal multivitamin and minerals with iron, folic acid, and l-methylfolate (pree-NATE-al muhl-tee-VYE-ta-min/MIN-er-als/EYE-urn/FOE-lik AS-id/meth-ill-FOE-late)
Brand Name: Neevo
Accidental overdose of products that contain iron is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years old. Keep this and all medicines out of the reach of children. In case of accidental ingestion, call the poison control center or doctor at once.
Neevo caplets are used for:
Dietary management of a lack of vitamins, minerals, iron, and folic acid during pregnancy. Neevo caplets are used for certain patients who face intermediate- to high-risk pregnancies and are unable to metabolize or absorb folic acid. It may also be used for other certain conditions as determined by your doctor.
Neevo caplets are a vitamin, mineral, iron, and folic acid combination. It provides vitamins and minerals to the body to help meet nutritional requirements.
Do NOT use Neevo caplets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Neevo caplets
- you have high levels of iron in your body (eg, hemosiderosis, hemochromatosis)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Neevo caplets:
Some medical conditions may interact with Neevo caplets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have bowel problems (eg, colitis, Crohn disease, diverticulitis), blood problems (eg, anemia, porphyria, thalassemia), bleeding problems (eg, hemophilia), a peptic ulcer, or kidney stones
- if you have had multiple blood transfusions
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Neevo caplets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Oral anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because the risk of bleeding may be increased by Neevo caplets
- Cation exchange resins (eg, sodium polystyrene sulfonate) because severe side effects may occur
- Fluorouracil because its actions and the risk of its side effects may be increased by Neevo caplets
- Doxycycline, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), levodopa, mycophenolate, penicillamine, or thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Neevo caplets
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Neevo caplets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Neevo caplets:
Use Neevo caplets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Neevo caplets by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Take Neevo caplets with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL).
- Avoid taking Neevo caplets with dairy products; they may interfere with the absorption of the iron in Neevo caplets.
- If you also take an antacid, ask your doctor or pharmacist how to take it with Neevo caplets.
- Many medicines (eg, used for infection, blood pressure, cancer, immune system suppression, low blood platelets, osteoporosis, thyroid problems) should not be taken at the same time as Neevo caplets because their effectiveness may be decreased. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if your dose of Neevo caplets should be separated from your dose of any of your other medicines.
- Taking Neevo caplets at the same time each day will help you remember to take it.
- Take Neevo caplets on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it.
- If you miss a dose of Neevo caplets, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Neevo caplets.
Important safety information:
- Do not take large doses of vitamins while you take Neevo caplets unless your doctor tells you to.
- Neevo caplets may darken the stools. This is normal and not a cause for concern.
- Neevo caplets has pyridoxine (vitamin B6) and folic acid in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has pyridoxine (vitamin B6) or folic acid in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Neevo caplets has iron in it. Iron overdose is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in CHILDREN younger than 6 years of age. Keep this product out of the reach of children. In case of accidental overdose, call a doctor or poison control center immediately.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Neevo caplets are intended for use during pregnancy. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you take Neevo caplets, check with your doctor.
Possible side effects of Neevo caplets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; dark or discolored stools; diarrhea; headache; nausea; stomach upset; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, bloody, or tarry stools; burning, numbness, or tingling; severe drowsiness; stomach pain or cramping.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include black, tarry stools; chest pain; lack of feeling alert; loss of balance; seizure; severe nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or stomach pain; shortness of breath; sluggishness; trouble breathing; unusual tiredness or weakness; unusually pale skin; weak pulse.Proper storage of Neevo caplets:
Store Neevo caplets at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Neevo caplets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Neevo caplets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Neevo caplets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Neevo caplets or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Neevo caplets. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Neevo caplets. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Neevo caplets.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Neevo (multivitamin, prenatal)
- Side Effects
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- 1 Review – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: iron products