Generic Name: cromolyn (KROE-moe-lin)
Brand Name: Examples include Nasal Allergy Control and NasalCrom
NasalCrom solution is used for:
Preventing and relieving symptoms of hay fever and allergies, including runny/itchy nose, sneezing, and nasal congestion. It may be used alone or with other allergy medications.
NasalCrom solution is a mast cell stabilizer. It works by stabilizing mast cells and preventing them from releasing their irritating chemicals.
Do NOT use NasalCrom solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in NasalCrom solution
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using NasalCrom solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with NasalCrom solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have liver or kidney problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with NasalCrom solution. However, no specific interactions with NasalCrom solution are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if NasalCrom solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use NasalCrom solution:
Use NasalCrom solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Blow your nose before using NasalCrom solution.
- Hold the pump with your thumb at the bottom and the nozzle between your fingers. If this is your first time using the pump, or if you have not used the pump for several days, spray into the air until you see a fine mist.
- Insert the nozzle into your nostril and spray upward one time while breathing in through the nose. Repeat in the other nostril.
- To keep the pump clean, wipe the nozzle and replace the cap and safety clip provided.
- For best results, start using NasalCrom solution 1 week before contact with the cause of your allergies.
- If you miss a dose of NasalCrom solution, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use NasalCrom solution.
Important safety information:
- NasalCrom solution may cause drowsiness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to NasalCrom solution
- Several days to a few weeks may pass before you feel the full benefit of NasalCrom solution.
- NasalCrom solution is not recommended for use in CHILDREN younger than 2 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you are pregnant or plan on becoming pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using NasalCrom solution during pregnancy. It is unknown if NasalCrom solution is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding, check with your doctor to discuss the benefits and risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of NasalCrom solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Bad taste in the mouth; drowsiness; headache; irritated or burning sensation in the nose; sneezing.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. NasalCrom solution may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of NasalCrom solution:
Store NasalCrom solution at room temperature between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C), away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep NasalCrom solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about NasalCrom solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- NasalCrom solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take NasalCrom solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about NasalCrom solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to NasalCrom solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using NasalCrom solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about NasalCrom (cromolyn nasal)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Support Group
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
Other brands: Nasal Allergy Control