The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
NanoVM oral powder
Generic Name: pediatric multivitamin/minerals (MUL-ti-VYE-ta-min/MIN-er-als)
Brand Name: NanoVM
Accidental overdose of products that contain iron is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years old. Keep this and all medicines out of the reach of children. In case of accidental ingestion, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
NanoVM oral powder is used for:
Treating or preventing low levels of vitamins and minerals in the body. It may be used in certain children that have food allergies or who have multiple food restrictions. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
NanoVM oral powder is a vitamin and mineral supplement. It works by providing extra vitamins and minerals to the body when you do not get enough from your diet.
Do NOT use NanoVM oral powder if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in NanoVM oral powder
- you have high levels of iron in your blood, hemochromatosis (a disorder of iron metabolism), or Wilson disease (a disorder of copper metabolism)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using NanoVM oral powder:
Some medical conditions may interact with NanoVM oral powder. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have anemia (eg, hemolytic, megaloblastic or pernicious anemia), other blood problems (eg, porphyria cutanea tarda, thalassemia), liver problems, metabolism problems, or kidney stones
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with NanoVM oral powder. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Acitretin, anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), or fluorouracil because the risk of their side effects may be increased by NanoVM oral powder
- Hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) or penicillamine because their effectiveness may be decreased by NanoVM oral powder
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if NanoVM oral powder may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use NanoVM oral powder:
Use NanoVM oral powder as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take NanoVM oral powder by mouth with food or a liquid.
- Gently shake the bottle several times to mix the powder.
- Use the scoop that comes with NanoVM oral powder to measure your dose. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- NanoVM oral powder must be mixed with moist food or a thickened liquid before taking.
- Do not take an antacid within several hours before or after you take NanoVM oral powder.
- Avoid taking NanoVM oral powder with dairy products; they may interfere with the absorption of the iron in NanoVM oral powder.
- Many medicines (eg, used for infection, blood pressure, low blood platelets, osteoporosis, thyroid problems) should not be taken at the same time as NanoVM oral powder; their effectiveness may be decreased. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if your dose of NanoVM oral powder should be separated from your dose of any of your other medicines.
- If you miss a dose of NanoVM oral powder for 1 or more days, there is no cause for concern. If your doctor recommended that you take it, try to remember your dose every day.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use NanoVM oral powder.
Important safety information:
- Do not take more than the recommended dose of NanoVM oral powder without checking with your doctor.
- Do not take large doses of vitamins while you use NanoVM oral powder unless your doctor tells you to.
- NanoVM oral powder has iron in it. Iron overdose is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years old. In case of an overdose, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- NanoVM oral powder may discolor the stools. This is normal and not a cause for concern.
- NanoVM oral powder may interfere with certain lab tests, such as tests used to check for blood in the stool. Make sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are using NanoVM oral powder.
- NanoVM oral powder should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 1 year old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using NanoVM oral powder while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use NanoVM oral powder, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of NanoVM oral powder:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; darkened or green stools; diarrhea; nausea; stomach upset; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; blood or streaks of blood in the stool; severe or persistent vomiting or stomach pain.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of NanoVM oral powder:
Store NanoVM oral powder at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Discard any unused medicine 60 days after the package has been opened. Keep NanoVM oral powder out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about NanoVM oral powder, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- NanoVM oral powder is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take NanoVM oral powder or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about NanoVM oral powder. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to NanoVM oral powder. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using NanoVM oral powder.