Generic Name: alprostadil (al-PRAHST-uh-dill)
Brand Name: Muse
Muse suppository is used for:
Treating erectile problems in men.
Muse suppository is a prostaglandin (PGE-1). It induces penile erection by relaxing certain muscles in the penis and widening blood vessels, which increases blood flow to the penis and helps to cause an erection. When the effect of the alprostadil wears off, blood flow returns to normal and the erection disappears.
Do NOT use Muse suppository if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Muse suppository
- you have urinary problems (eg, inflammation or narrowing of the urinary tract), blood problems (eg, sickle cell anemia, thrombocytopenia, polycythemia, multiple myeloma, thick or "sticky" blood), blood clotting problems, or a history of blood clots
- you have inflammation or infection of the penis, your penis is not straight when erect, or your penis is structurally abnormal in any way
- you have any other physical reason that you should not have sexual intercourse
- you plan to have sexual intercourse with a pregnant woman (unless you use a condom)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Muse suppository:
Tell your health care provider if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, if you become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have Peyronie disease (scar tissue on your penis) or a prolonged and painful erection
- if you have a penile implant, leukemia, heart problems, or lung problems (eg, adult respiratory distress syndrome)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Muse suppository.
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because the risk of bleeding may be increased
- Medicines for high blood pressure because side effects, such as dizziness and fainting, may be increased by Muse suppository
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Muse suppository may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Muse suppository:
Use Muse suppository as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Muse suppository comes with an additional patient leaflet. Read it carefully and reread it each time you get Muse suppository refilled.
- Muse suppository should be used as needed to achieve an erection.
- Use Muse suppository exactly as instructed by your health care provider. Before using Muse suppository, your health care provider should instruct you on the proper technique for self-administering Muse suppository. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions about using Muse suppository.
- Muse suppository works best if you urinate just prior to insertion.
- Do not use more than 2 systems in a 24-hour period.
- Each dose is for single use and should be properly thrown away after use.
- The medicine usually takes effect 5 to 10 minutes after being used. The effect lasts about 30 to 60 minutes. However, the duration will vary from person to person.
- If you miss a dose of Muse suppository, use it as soon as you remember. Continue to use it as directed by your doctor.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Muse suppository.
Important safety information:
- Muse suppository may cause dizziness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Muse suppository. Using Muse suppository alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or to perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- You will need to have a complete medical history and physical exam before using Muse suppository.
- Wear a condom if you plan to have sexual intercourse with a pregnant woman.
- Tell your doctor if you experience painful erections or erections that last for more than 4 hours. If prolonged erection is not treated immediately, damage to the penile tissue and loss of potency could result.
- Muse suppository does not protect against the spread of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). Take precautions to guard against the spread of STDs, including HIV.
- If you have not had sexual intercourse for a long time, consult your health care provider before resuming sexual intercourse. It may be necessary to use a water-based lubricant during sexual intercourse.
- Muse suppository is not recommended for use in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness have not been established.
Possible side effects of Muse suppository:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dizziness; burning, bleeding, or spotting of the urethra; flu symptoms; groin pain; pain; penile pain; runny nose; testicular pain.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); fainting; fast pulse; leg pain; prolonged, painful erections; redness, lumps, swelling, tenderness, or curving of the erect penis; swelling of the leg veins.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include fainting; lasting pain in the penis, and painful erections lasting more than 6 hours; lightheadedness.Proper storage of Muse suppository:
Store unopened foil pouches in refrigerator between 36 and 46 degrees F (2 and 8 degrees C). Muse suppository may be stored at room temperature below 86 degrees F (30 degrees C) for up to 14 days. Keep Muse suppository out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Muse suppository, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Muse suppository is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Muse suppository or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Muse suppository. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Muse suppository. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Muse suppository.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Muse (alprostadil)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 23 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: impotence agents