Generic Name: phenylephrine/scopolamine (fen-il-EF-rin/skoe-PAHL-ah-meen)
Brand Name: Murocoll 2
Murocoll 2 is used for:
Temporarily dilating the pupil and paralyzing certain parts of the eye for diagnostic procedures. It may be used before or after surgery to treat certain types of eye inflammation. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Murocoll 2 is an adrenergic and anticholinergic combination. It works by stopping the eye muscles from reacting to certain substances found in the body, which causes the pupil to dilate (widen).
Do NOT use Murocoll 2 if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Murocoll 2
- you have glaucoma or you are at risk for glaucoma
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Murocoll 2:
Some medical conditions may interact with Murocoll 2. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have blockage of your bladder, heart problems, an overactive thyroid, nerve problems, trouble urinating, high blood pressure, severe blood vessel problems, or diabetes
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Murocoll 2. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) (eg, phenelzine) because severe high blood pressure may occur
- Phenothiazines (eg, thioridazine) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Murocoll 2
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Murocoll 2 may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Murocoll 2:
Use Murocoll 2 as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Murocoll 2 is only for the eye. Do not get it in your nose or mouth.
- To use Murocoll 2 in the eye, first, wash your hands. Tilt your head back. Using your index finger, pull the lower eyelid away from the eye to form a pouch. Drop the medicine into the pouch and gently close your eyes. Immediately use your finger to apply pressure to the inside corner of the eyelid for 1 to 2 minutes. Do not blink. Remove excess medicine around your eye with a clean, dry tissue, being careful not to touch your eye. Wash your hands to remove any medicine that may be on them.
- To prevent germs from contaminating your medicine, do not touch the applicator tip to any surface, including the eye. Keep the container tightly closed.
- If you miss a dose of Murocoll 2, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Murocoll 2.
Important safety information:
- Murocoll 2 may cause drowsiness or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Murocoll 2 with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Some of these products contain sulfites. Sulfites may cause an allergic reaction in some patients (eg, asthma patients). If you have ever had an allergic reaction to sulfites, ask your pharmacist if your product has sulfites in it.
- Murocoll 2 may make your eyes more sensitive to sunlight. It may help to wear sunglasses.
- If you have an appointment for an eye examination and your doctor has told you that you will receive Murocoll 2, be sure to make arrangements to have someone drive you home in case your vision is blurry.
- Murocoll 2 should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Murocoll 2 while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while using Murocoll 2.
Possible side effects of Murocoll 2:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Blurred vision; burning, stinging, or redness; drowsiness; dry mouth; inflammation.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); difficulty urinating; eye pain; eye pus; fever; flushing or dryness of the skin; irregular or rapid heartbeat; visual hallucinations.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Murocoll 2 may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Murocoll 2:
Store Murocoll 2 at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Murocoll 2 out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Murocoll 2, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Murocoll 2 is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Murocoll 2. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.