Generic Name: naloxegol (nal-OX-ee-gol)
Brand Name: Movantik
Movantik is used for:
Treating constipation caused by opioid medicines in certain patients. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Movantik is an opioid antagonist. It works by decreasing the effect of opioid medicines in the stomach and bowel, which helps to decrease constipation.
Do NOT use Movantik if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Movantik
- you have severe liver problems or a history of stomach or bowel blockage
- you are taking carbamazepine, clarithromycin, itraconazole, ketoconazole, rifampin, or St. John's wort
- you are taking another opioid antagonist (eg, methylnaltrexone)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Movantik:
Some medical conditions may interact with Movantik. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have kidney or liver problems
- if you have nausea, vomiting, stomach pain or swelling, or stomach or bowel problems (eg, cancer, ulcer, Ogilvie syndrome)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Movantik. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Clarithromycin, diltiazem, erythromycin, itraconazole, ketoconazole, methylnaltrexone, or verapamil because they may increase the risk of Movantik's side effects. The risk of opioid withdrawal symptoms may also be increased
- Carbamazepine, rifampin, or St. John's wort because they may decrease Movantik's effectiveness
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Movantik may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Movantik:
Use Movantik as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Movantik comes with an extra patient information sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it carefully. Read it again each time you get Movantik refilled.
- Take Movantik by mouth on an empty stomach at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after the first meal of the day.
- Swallow Movantik whole. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing.
- Do not eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice while you use Movantik.
- If you miss a dose of Movantik, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Movantik.
Important safety information:
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Movantik before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Talk with your doctor before using a laxative with Movantik.
- Movantik should only be used by patients who take opioid pain medicines. Tell your doctor if you stop taking your opioid pain medicine.
- Serious stomach or bowel problems (eg, perforation) may occur with Movantik. Tell your doctor right away if you have severe, worsening, or persistent stomach swelling or pain; severe or persistent nausea or vomiting; black, sticky stools; or bloody vomit.
- Symptoms of opioid withdrawal have happened with Movantik. Call your doctor right away if you have increased sweating, chills, unusual diarrhea or stomach pain, anxiety, irritability, or yawning.
- If you are taking methadone for pain, talk with your doctor. Stomach problems (eg, diarrhea, stomach pain) may happen more often in people taking methadone with Movantik than in people taking other opioid pain medicines.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Movantik while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Movantik.
Possible side effects of Movantik:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Diarrhea; gas; headache; nausea; stomach pain; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; wheezing); black, tarry stools; bloody vomit; severe, persistent, or worsening diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, or stomach pain.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Movantik:
Store Movantik at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C), away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Movantik out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Movantik, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Movantik is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Movantik or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Movantik. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Movantik. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Movantik.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.