Monistat 3 cream
Generic Name: miconazole (mi-KON-a-zole)
Brand Name: Monistat 3
Monistat 3 cream is used for:
Treating vaginal yeast infections.
Monistat 3 cream is an antifungal agent. It works by weakening the cell membrane of the fungus, resulting in the death of the fungus.
Do NOT use Monistat 3 cream if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Monistat 3 cream
- you have never had a vaginal yeast infection diagnosed by a doctor
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Monistat 3 cream:
Some medical conditions may interact with Monistat 3 cream. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have the blood disease porphyria or a history of liver disease, or you have been exposed to HIV
- if you have stomach, shoulder, or lower back pain; fever; chills; nausea; foul-smelling vaginal discharge; or vomiting
- if this is the first time you have had vaginal itching and discomfort
- if you have vaginal yeast infections often (eg, once a month or 3 in 6 months)
- if you are taking antibiotics
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Monistat 3 cream. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because the risk of side effects such as bruising or bleeding may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Monistat 3 cream may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Monistat 3 cream:
Use Monistat 3 cream as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Monistat 3 cream comes with an additional patient leaflet. Read it carefully and reread it each time you get Monistat 3 cream refilled.
- Monistat 3 cream is for vaginal use only. Do not use in the eyes or take by mouth.
- Insert 1 applicatorful into the vagina at bedtime for 3 days. Throw applicator away after use.
- Wash your hands immediately after using Monistat 3 cream.
- To clear up your infection completely, continue using Monistat 3 cream for the full course of treatment.
- If you miss a dose of Monistat 3 cream, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Monistat 3 cream.
Important safety information:
- Monistat 3 cream is for vaginal use only. Avoid contact with the eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get Monistat 3 cream in your eyes, flush with a generous amount of cool water.
- It is important to use Monistat 3 cream for the full course of treatment. Failure to do so may decrease the effectiveness of Monistat 3 cream and increase the risk that the fungus will no longer be sensitive to Monistat 3 cream and will not be able to be treated by this or certain other antibiotics in the future.
- If your symptoms do not improve within 3 days, if they last more than 7 days, or if they become worse, stop using Monistat 3 cream and contact your health care provider at once. You may have a more serious illness.
- Do not use Monistat 3 cream for itching caused by other conditions.
- Dry the outside vaginal area completely after showering, bathing, or swimming. Do not go swimming for at least 9 to 12 hours after applying Monistat 3 cream. Change out of wet bathing suits or damp workout clothes as soon as possible.
- Continue using Monistat 3 cream even during your menstrual period. Do not use tampons while you are using Monistat 3 cream or until all of your symptoms go away. Use unscented pads or pantiliners.
- Do not have vaginal sexual intercourse while you are using Monistat 3 cream.
- Monistat 3 cream may decrease the effectiveness of condoms and diaphragms, increasing the chance of pregnancy or risk of sexually transmitted disease.
- Do not use tampons, douches, spermicides, or other vaginal products while using Monistat 3 cream.
- Overuse of topical products may worsen your condition.
- Do not use Monistat 3 cream in CHILDREN younger than 12 years of age unless advised to do so by your health care provider.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Monistat 3 cream, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Monistat 3 cream during pregnancy. It is unknown if Monistat 3 cream is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Monistat 3 cream, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
Possible side effects of Monistat 3 cream:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Headache; mild vaginal burning, irritation, or itching; stomach cramps.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); fever or chills; foul-smelling vaginal discharge; nausea; severe or prolonged vaginal burning, irritation, or itching; stomach pain; swelling; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Monistat 3 cream:
Store Monistat 3 cream at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Do not use if the wrapper on the applicator is torn or damaged. Keep Monistat 3 cream out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Monistat 3 cream, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Monistat 3 cream is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Monistat 3 cream or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Monistat 3 cream. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Monistat 3 cream. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Monistat 3 cream.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Monistat 3-Day Combination Pack (miconazole topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 122 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: vaginal anti-infectives
- Monistat 3 (FDA)
- Monistat 3 Combination Pack Triple Action (FDA)
- Miconazole Nitrate (AHFS Monograph)