Methenamine/Sodium Phosphate/Phenyl Salicylate/Methylene Blue/Hyoscyamine
Generic Name: Methenamine/Sodium Phosphate/Phenyl Salicylate/Methylene Blue/Hyoscyamine (meth EN a meen, SOW dee um FOS fate mon oh BAY sik, fen nil sa LIS i late, METH i leen bloo, & hye oh SYE a meen)
Brand Name: Azuphen MB, Hyolev MB, Phosphasal, Ur N-C, Uramit MB, ...show all 21 brand names.Urelle, Uretron D/S, Uribel, Urimar-T, Urin DS, Uro-458, Uro-L, Uro-MP, UroAv-81, UroAv-B, Ustell, Uticap, Utira-C, Utrona-C, Vilamit MB, Vilevev MB
Medically reviewed on Sep 5, 2018
Uses of Methenamine/Sodium Phosphate/Phenyl Salicylate/Methylene Blue/Hyoscyamine:
- It is used to ease pain from a bladder infection.
- It is used to treat muscle spasms of the urinary system.
- It is used to treat urinary signs.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Methenamine/Sodium Phosphate/Phenyl Salicylate/Methylene Blue/Hyoscyamine?
For all patients taking methenamine/sodium phosphate/phenyl salicylate/methylene blue/hyoscyamine:
- If you have an allergy to methenamine, sodium biphosphate, phenyl salicylate, methylene blue, hyoscyamine, or any other part of methenamine/sodium phosphate/phenyl salicylate/methylene blue/hyoscyamine.
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you are taking or have recently taken any drugs for mental or mood problems like depression. There are many drugs that must not be taken with methenamine/sodium phosphate/phenyl salicylate/methylene blue/hyoscyamine. Talk with your doctor if you are not sure.
- If your child is younger than 6 years of age. Do not give methenamine/sodium phosphate/phenyl salicylate/methylene blue/hyoscyamine to a child younger than 6 years of age.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take methenamine/sodium phosphate/phenyl salicylate/methylene blue/hyoscyamine with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Methenamine/Sodium Phosphate/Phenyl Salicylate/Methylene Blue/Hyoscyamine?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take methenamine/sodium phosphate/phenyl salicylate/methylene blue/hyoscyamine. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not take more than what your doctor told you to take. Taking more than you are told may raise your chance of very bad side effects.
- Do not take methenamine/sodium phosphate/phenyl salicylate/methylene blue/hyoscyamine for longer than you were told by your doctor.
- This medicine may prevent other drugs taken by mouth from getting into the body. If you take other drugs by mouth, you may need to take them at some other time than methenamine/sodium phosphate/phenyl salicylate/methylene blue/hyoscyamine. Talk with your doctor.
- Use with care in children. Talk with the doctor.
- If methenamine/sodium phosphate/phenyl salicylate/methylene blue/hyoscyamine is taken by accident, get medical help right away.
- If you are 65 or older, use methenamine/sodium phosphate/phenyl salicylate/methylene blue/hyoscyamine with care. You could have more side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using methenamine/sodium phosphate/phenyl salicylate/methylene blue/hyoscyamine while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Methenamine/Sodium Phosphate/Phenyl Salicylate/Methylene Blue/Hyoscyamine) best taken?
Use methenamine/sodium phosphate/phenyl salicylate/methylene blue/hyoscyamine as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food.
- Take with a full glass of water.
- Drink lots of noncaffeine liquids unless told to drink less liquid by your doctor.
- Do not take antacids or drugs for loose stools (diarrhea) within 1 hour of methenamine/sodium phosphate/phenyl salicylate/methylene blue/hyoscyamine.
- If you also take ketoconazole, take it at least 2 hours before you take methenamine/sodium phosphate/phenyl salicylate/methylene blue/hyoscyamine.
- To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
- Keep using methenamine/sodium phosphate/phenyl salicylate/methylene blue/hyoscyamine as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- A fast heartbeat.
- Blurred eyesight.
- Shortness of breath.
- Trouble passing urine.
What are some other side effects of Methenamine/Sodium Phosphate/Phenyl Salicylate/Methylene Blue/Hyoscyamine?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Feeling sleepy.
- Dry mouth.
- Change in color of urine or stool to blue or green.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Methenamine/Sodium Phosphate/Phenyl Salicylate/Methylene Blue/Hyoscyamine?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from light.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep lid tightly closed.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about methenamine/sodium phosphate/phenyl salicylate/methylene blue/hyoscyamine, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about hyoscyamine/methenamine/methylene blue/phenyl salicylate/sodium biphosphate
- Hyoscyamine/methenamine/methylene blue/phenyl salicylate/sodium biphosphate Side Effects
- Drug Interactions
- En Español
- 18 Reviews
- Drug class: urinary antispasmodics