Generic name: Metaproterenol Tablets (met a proe TER e nol)
Brand name: Alupent
Drug class: Adrenergic bronchodilators
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 26, 2020.
Uses of Metaproterenol Tablets:
- It is used to open the airways in lung diseases where spasm may cause breathing problems.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Metaproterenol Tablets?
For all patients taking this medicine (metaproterenol tablets):
- If you have an allergy to metaproterenol or any other part of this medicine (metaproterenol tablets).
- If you are allergic to this medicine (metaproterenol tablets); any part of this medicine (metaproterenol tablets); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have a fast heartbeat.
- If you have a heartbeat that is not normal.
- If your child is younger than 6 years of age. Do not give this medicine (metaproterenol tablets) to a child younger than 6 years of age.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with this medicine (metaproterenol tablets).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine (metaproterenol tablets) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Metaproterenol Tablets?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine (metaproterenol tablets). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Call your doctor right away if your breathing problems get worse, if your rescue inhaler does not work as well, or if you need to use your rescue inhaler more often.
- Check blood pressure and heart rate as the doctor has told you.
- Do not use more than what your doctor told you to use. Do not use more often or longer than what you were told. Doing any of these things may raise the chance of very bad side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this medicine (metaproterenol tablets) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Metaproterenol Tablets) best taken?
Use this medicine (metaproterenol tablets) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of high blood pressure like very bad headache or dizziness, passing out, or change in eyesight.
- A fast heartbeat.
- A heartbeat that does not feel normal.
What are some other side effects of Metaproterenol Tablets?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Feeling nervous and excitable.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Metaproterenol Tablets?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from light.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about this medicine (metaproterenol tablets), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about metaproterenol
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 2 Reviews
- Drug class: adrenergic bronchodilators
- Drug Information
- Metaproterenol (Advanced Reading)
- Metaproterenol Inhalation (Advanced Reading)
- Metaproterenol Syrup
- Other brands
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.