Generic Name: magnesium gluconate (mag-NEE-zee-um GLOO-koe-nate)
Brand Name: Magonate
Magonate liquid is used for:
Treating low magnesium levels or maintaining the proper amount of magnesium in the body.
Magonate liquid is an essential mineral. It works by adding magnesium to your body if your magnesium levels are low.
Do NOT use Magonate liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Magonate liquid
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Magonate liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with Magonate liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have appendicitis, diarrhea, a blockage of your intestines, heart problems, or kidney problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Magonate liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Magonate liquid
- Bisphosphonates (eg, risedronate), penicillamine, quinolone antibiotics (eg, ciprofloxacin), or tetracyclines (eg, doxycycline) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Magonate liquid
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Magonate liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Magonate liquid:
Use Magonate liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Magonate liquid by mouth with food.
- If you miss a dose of Magonate liquid and are using it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Magonate liquid.
Important safety information:
- Lab tests, including magnesium levels, may be performed while you use Magonate liquid. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Magonate liquid should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Magonate liquid while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Magonate liquid, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Magonate liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); nausea; slow reflexes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include confusion; dizziness; flushing; loss of consciousness; muscle weakness; severe drowsiness; slow heartbeat.Proper storage of Magonate liquid:
Store Magonate liquid at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Magonate liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Magonate liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Magonate liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Magonate liquid or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Magonate liquid. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Magonate liquid. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Magonate liquid.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about magnesium gluconate
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 1 Review – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: minerals and electrolytes