Generic Name: mafenide (MA-fe-NIDE)
Brand Name: Sulfamylon
Mafenide solution is used for:
Treating or preventing skin infections in patients with serious burns. Mafenide solution is used in combination with other medicines.
Mafenide solution is an antibacterial agent. It works by killing sensitive bacteria in a way that is not exactly known.
Do NOT use mafenide solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in mafenide solution
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using mafenide solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with mafenide solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, dizziness) to any other sulfonamide medicine, such as acetazolamide, celecoxib, certain diuretics (eg, hydrochlorothiazide), glyburide, probenecid, sulfamethoxazole, valdecoxib, or zonisamide
- if you have glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency, kidney problems, or lung or breathing problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with mafenide solution. However, no specific interactions with mafenide solution are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if mafenide solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use mafenide solution:
Use mafenide solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Mafenide solution is for external use only. Do not inject mafenide solution or take it by mouth.
- Wash your hands thoroughly before and after application of mafenide solution.
- Cover the burn area with one layer of fine mesh gauze. Wet an appropriate burn dressing with mafenide solution until leaking is noticeable. Place the dressing in contact with the wound. Secure the dressing in place as directed by your doctor or health care provider.
- The dressing should be kept wet. Follow the directions provided by your doctor or health care provider for re-wetting and changing the dressing.
- Follow the directions provided by your doctor for bathing or washing the affected area.
- To prevent or clear up your infection completely, continue using mafenide solution for the full course of treatment even if you feel better in a few days. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of mafenide solution, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use mafenide solution.
Important safety information:
- Mafenide solution may be harmful if swallowed. If you or someone you know may have taken mafenide solution by mouth, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately.
- LAB TESTS, including blood tests, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use mafenide solution with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 3 months of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using mafenide solution during pregnancy. It is unknown if mafenide solution is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking mafenide solution.
Possible side effects of mafenide solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Blistering, burning sensation, itching, redness, or pain at the application site.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bleeding of the skin; dark urine; fast or irregular heartbeat; rapid breathing; softening or thinning of the skin; unusual tiredness or weakness; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of mafenide solution:
Store mafenide solution at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Mafenide solution may be stored for up to 28 days if the container has not been opened. Once the container has been opened, throw away any unused medicine after 48 hours. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep mafenide solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about mafenide solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Mafenide solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take mafenide solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about mafenide solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to mafenide solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using mafenide solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about mafenide topical
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Support Group
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
Other brands: Sulfamylon