The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Generic Name: dyphylline/guaifenesin (DYE-fi-lin/gwye-FEN-e-sin)
Brand Name: Examples include COPD and Lufyllin-GG
Lufyllin-GG is used for:
Relieving breathing problems caused by bronchial asthma, chronic bronchitis, or emphysema.
Lufyllin-GG is a bronchodilator and expectorant combination. It works by widening the air passages and making it easier to breathe, and by thinning the mucus for a more productive cough.
Do NOT use Lufyllin-GG if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Lufyllin-GG
- you are taking intravenous (IV) dipyridamole or halothane
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Lufyllin-GG:
Some medical conditions may interact with Lufyllin-GG. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have severe heart disease or heart damage, high blood pressure, epilepsy, kidney disease, thyroid problems, or ulcers
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Lufyllin-GG. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol) because the effectiveness of Lufyllin-GG may be decreased
- Ephedrine, halothane, mexiletine, probenecid, sympathomimetics (eg, albuterol), tacrine, xanthines (eg, theophylline), or zileuton because side effects and toxic effects of Lufyllin-GG may be increased
- Adenosine, IV dipyridamole, lithium, or nondepolarizing muscle relaxants (eg, pancuronium) because the effectiveness of these medicines may be decreased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Lufyllin-GG may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Lufyllin-GG:
Use Lufyllin-GG as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Lufyllin-GG may be taken with or without food. Taking it after eating may help to decrease stomach upset.
- Drinking extra fluids while you are taking Lufyllin-GG is recommended. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- If you miss a dose of Lufyllin-GG, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Lufyllin-GG.
Important safety information:
- Do not exceed the recommended dose without checking with your doctor.
- Avoid large amounts of caffeine-containing foods and beverages, such as coffee, tea, cocoa, cola drinks, and chocolate.
- Before you have any medical or dental treatments, emergency care, or surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are using Lufyllin-GG.
- Lufyllin-GG may interfere with certain lab tests. Make sure your doctor and laboratory personnel know that you are taking Lufyllin-GG.
- Lufyllin-GG is not recommended for use in CHILDREN younger than 6 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- Caution is advised when using Lufyllin-GG in CHILDREN 6 years of age and older because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you plan on becoming pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Lufyllin-GG during pregnancy. Lufyllin-GG is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast feeding while you are using Lufyllin-GG, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Lufyllin-GG:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Headache; nausea; upset stomach.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blood in the urine; bloody vomit; diarrhea; dizziness; excitability; fast breathing; fast/irregular heartbeat; flushing; increased thirst or urination; irritability; muscle twitching; pounding in the chest; restlessness; seizures; stomach pain; trouble sleeping; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include agitation; chest pain; dehydration; excessive sweating; excessive thirst; fever or chills; irregular heartbeat; loss of appetite; ringing in the ears; seizures; severe vomiting.Proper storage of Lufyllin-GG:
Store Lufyllin-GG at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Avoid excessive heat (above 104 degrees F [40 degrees C]). Keep Lufyllin-GG out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Lufyllin-GG, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Lufyllin-GG is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Lufyllin-GG or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Lufyllin-GG. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Lufyllin-GG. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Lufyllin-GG.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.