The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Generic Name: Lucinactant Solution (loo sin AK tant)
Brand Name: Surfaxin
Uses of Lucinactant Solution:
- It is used to prevent lung distress in premature babies.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Lucinactant Solution?
- If your child is allergic to lucinactant solution; any part of lucinactant solution; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell the doctor about the allergy and what signs your child had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take lucinactant solution with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Lucinactant Solution?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take lucinactant solution. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
How is this medicine (Lucinactant Solution) best taken?
Give lucinactant solution as ordered by your child's doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- This medicine is given into the lungs with a tube.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Call your child's doctor to find out what to do.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Trouble breathing.
- Slow heartbeat.
- Pale skin.
What are some other side effects of Lucinactant Solution?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your child's doctor or get medical help if your child has any side effects that bother your child or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Lucinactant Solution?
- If you need to store lucinactant solution at home, talk with your child's doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about lucinactant solution, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.