Lotrimin AF solution
Generic Name: clotrimazole (kloe-TRIM-a-zole)
Brand Name: Lotrimin AF
Lotrimin AF solution is used for:
Treating athlete's foot, jock itch, and ringworm. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Lotrimin AF solution is an antifungal agent. It kills sensitive fungi by binding to and weakening the fungal cell membrane.
Do NOT use Lotrimin AF solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Lotrimin AF solution
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Lotrimin AF solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Lotrimin AF solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Lotrimin AF solution. Because little, if any, of Lotrimin AF solution is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Lotrimin AF solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Lotrimin AF solution:
Use Lotrimin AF solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Lotrimin AF solution is for topical use on the skin only.
- Clean the affected area with soap and water and dry thoroughly.
- Apply a thin layer of medicine to the affected area. Rub it in gently. Do not cover unless directed to by your doctor.
- Wash your hands immediately after using Lotrimin AF solution, unless your hands are part of the treated area.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Lotrimin AF solution for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- If you miss a dose of Lotrimin AF solution, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Lotrimin AF solution.
Important safety information:
- Lotrimin AF solution is for external use only. If you get Lotrimin AF solution in your eyes, immediately flush them with cool tap water.
- Be sure to use Lotrimin AF solution for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The fungus could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Lotrimin AF solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Lotrimin AF solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Lotrimin AF solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); reddening, blistering, peeling, itching, or burning of the skin.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Lotrimin AF solution may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Lotrimin AF solution:
Store Lotrimin AF solution at room temperature, 59 to 86 degrees F (15 to 30 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Lotrimin AF solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Lotrimin AF solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Lotrimin AF solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Lotrimin AF solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Lotrimin AF solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Lotrimin AF solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Lotrimin AF solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Lotrimin AF Athlete's Foot Cream (clotrimazole topical)
- Lotrimin AF lotion
- Lotrimin cream
- Lotrimin AF Cream
- Lotrimin AF Topical (Advanced Reading)
- Lotrimin Topical (Advanced Reading)