Generic Name: sodium fluoride (SO-dee-um FLOR-ide)
Brand Name: Examples include Listermint and PreviDent
Listermint rinse is used for:
Preventing dental caries.
Listermint rinse is a fluoride rinse. It works by strengthening the teeth and decreasing the effects of acid and bacteria on the teeth.
Do NOT use Listermint rinse if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Listermint rinse
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Listermint rinse:
Some medical conditions may interact with Listermint rinse. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Listermint rinse. However, no specific interactions with Listermint rinse are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Listermint rinse may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Listermint rinse:
Use Listermint rinse as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Use Listermint rinse at bedtime after brushing your teeth. Measure the prescribed dose and swish between your teeth for 1 minute, then spit out, unless directed otherwise by your doctor. Do not eat, drink, or rinse your mouth for 30 minutes after using Listermint rinse.
- If you miss a dose of Listermint rinse, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Listermint rinse.
Important safety information:
- Do not exceed the dose recommended by your doctor or dentist.
- Notify your dentist if your teeth become spotted or stained.
- Listermint rinse is not recommended for use in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old; safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Listermint rinse, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Listermint rinse while pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Listermint rinse, check with your doctor. Discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Listermint rinse:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. When used in small doses, no COMMON side effects have been reported with Listermint rinse. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include diarrhea; extreme thirst; increased drooling; muscle weakness; nausea; paleness of the skin; seizures; shallow, rapid breathing; shaking; stomach pain; vomiting; weak or fast heartbeat.Proper storage of Listermint rinse:
Store Listermint rinse at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep Listermint rinse out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Listermint rinse, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Listermint rinse is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Listermint rinse or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Listermint rinse. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Listermint rinse. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Listermint rinse.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about fluoride topical
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 8 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Sodium fluoride cream
- Sodium fluoride rinse
- Stannous fluoride gel
- Stannous fluoride rinse
- Fluoride topical