The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Generic Name: magnesium citrate (mag-NEE-zee-um SEYE-trate)
Brand Name: Examples include Citrate of Magnesia and LiquiPrep
LiquiPrep solution is used for:
Clearing the bowels before tests or for treating constipation.
LiquiPrep solution is a laxative. It works by attracting and retaining water in the intestine, which allows the bowel to evacuate.
Do NOT use LiquiPrep solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in LiquiPrep solution
- you are taking aluminum salt (eg, aluminum hydroxide) or quinolones (eg, ciprofloxacin)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using LiquiPrep solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with LiquiPrep solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of bowel obstruction or kidney conditions, appendicitis, heart failure, or rectal bleeding
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with LiquiPrep solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Aluminum salts (eg, aluminum hydroxide) or anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by LiquiPrep solution
- Bisphosphonates (eg, risedronate), digoxin, penicillamine, quinolone antibiotics (eg, ciprofloxacin), or tetracyclines (eg, doxycycline) because their effectiveness may be decreased by LiquiPrep solution
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if LiquiPrep solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use LiquiPrep solution:
Use LiquiPrep solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take LiquiPrep solution on an empty stomach. Take LiquiPrep solution with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL).
- If you also take a bisphosphonate (eg, alendronic acid), digoxin, or a tetracycline (eg, doxycycline), do not take them within 2 to 4 hours of taking LiquiPrep solution. Check with your doctor if you have questions.
- If you miss a dose of LiquiPrep solution, take it as soon as you remember. Continue to take it as directed by your doctor or on the package label.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use LiquiPrep solution.
Important safety information:
- Do not use LiquiPrep solution if you experience abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, or rectal bleeding except under the direction of your doctor.
- If you notice a sudden change in bowel habits that lasts for 2 weeks or more, check with your doctor and do not use any more of LiquiPrep solution.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than 1 week without checking with your doctor.
- LiquiPrep solution should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 2 years old; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using LiquiPrep solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use LiquiPrep solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of LiquiPrep solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Diarrhea; stomach discomfort.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blood in the stool; cramps; dizziness; fainting; irregular heartbeat; severe diarrhea; sweating; weakness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of LiquiPrep solution:
Store LiquiPrep solution at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep LiquiPrep solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about LiquiPrep solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- LiquiPrep solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take LiquiPrep solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about LiquiPrep solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to LiquiPrep solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using LiquiPrep solution.