Generic Name: dextroamphetamine (DEX-troe-am-FET-a-meen)
Brand Name: ProCentra
Liquadd Solution has a high potential for abuse and may be habit-forming if used for a long period of time. Use Liquadd Solution only as prescribed. Do not share it with others. Abuse of Liquadd Solution may cause serious heart problems, blood vessel problems, or sudden death.
Liquadd Solution is used for:
Treating attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in certain children. It is also used to treat a type of sleep disorder (narcolepsy). It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Liquadd Solution is a central nervous system stimulant. Exactly how it works is not known. It affects certain chemicals in the brain that may help to improve attention span and behavior.
Do NOT use Liquadd Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Liquadd Solution or to similar medicines
- you have severe hardening of the arteries; active heart or blood vessel disease; moderate, severe, or uncontrolled high blood pressure; an overactive thyroid; or glaucoma
- you have agitation, anxiety, or tension
- you take or have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
- you have a history of alcohol or other substance abuse
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Liquadd Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Liquadd Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you or a family member has a history of heart problems (eg, heart failure, heart rhythm problems, heart defect), high blood pressure, thyroid problems, seizures or abnormal electroencephalogram (EEG) test, mental or mood problems (eg, bipolar disorder, depression, psychosis), uncontrolled muscle movements (eg, tics), Tourette syndrome, or suicidal thoughts or attempts
- if you have a history of stroke, growth problems, certain blood problems (eg, the blood disease porphyria), hardening of the arteries, or blood vessel problems, or you have had a recent heart attack
- if you have a family history of sudden death or heart rhythm problems
- if you or a family member have circulation problems in the hands or feet (eg, Raynaud phenomenon, thromboangiitis obliterans)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Liquadd Solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Furazolidone or MAOIs (eg, phenelzine) because the risk of severe high blood pressure, fever, headache, and decreased heart rate may be increased
- Acetazolamide, propoxyphene, sodium bicarbonate, or thiazide diuretics (eg, hydrochlorothiazide) because they may increase the risk of Liquadd Solution's side effects
- Ammonium chloride, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), chlorpromazine, glutamic acid, haloperidol, lithium carbonate, methenamine, reserpine, or sodium acid phosphate because they may decrease Liquadd Solution's effectiveness
- Meperidine, norepinephrine, phenobarbital, phenytoin, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) (eg, fluoxetine), sympathomimetics (eg, pseudoephedrine), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, desipramine) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Liquadd Solution
- Adrenergic blockers (eg, guanethidine), antihistamines (eg, diphenhydramine), ethosuximide, or medicine for high blood pressure because their effectiveness may be decreased by Liquadd Solution
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Liquadd Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Liquadd Solution:
Use Liquadd Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Liquadd Solution comes with an extra patient information sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it carefully. Read it again each time you get Liquadd Solution refilled.
- Take Liquadd Solution by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- Take your doses of Liquadd Solution 4 to 6 hours apart unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
- Do not drink fruit juice at the same time that you take Liquadd Solution. Certain fruit juices (eg, grapefruit, apple, orange) may decrease Liquadd Solution's effectiveness.
- Take Liquadd Solution on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it. Taking Liquadd Solution at the same time each day will help you remember to take it.
- If you miss a dose of Liquadd Solution, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose. Go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Liquadd Solution.
Important safety information:
- Liquadd Solution may cause dizziness or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Liquadd Solution with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Serious effects, including heart attack, stroke, and sudden death, have occurred with the use of stimulant medicines in patients with heart defects or other serious heart problems. If you have a heart defect or other serious heart problem, talk with your doctor about other therapies to treat your condition.
- Liquadd Solution may cause sleeplessness. Do not take Liquadd Solution near your bedtime unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
- Avoid large amounts of food or drink that have caffeine (eg, coffee, tea, cocoa, cola, chocolate). Caffeine may increase the side effects of Liquadd Solution.
- Liquadd Solution may cause circulation problems in the hands and feet. Tell your doctor if you have any numbness, pain, tingling, cold feeling, or skin color change (eg, from pale to blue or red) in your hands or feet. Call your doctor right away if you have any unexplained sores or wounds on your fingers or toes.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Liquadd Solution before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Liquadd Solution may interfere with certain lab tests. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are taking Liquadd Solution.
- Lab tests, including blood pressure and heart rate, may be performed while you use Liquadd Solution. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Liquadd Solution should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 3 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- Liquadd Solution may affect growth rate in CHILDREN and teenagers in some cases. They may need regular growth checks while they take Liquadd Solution.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Liquadd Solution while you are pregnant. Liquadd Solution is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Liquadd Solution.
When used for long periods of time or at high doses, Liquadd Solution may not work as well and may require higher doses to obtain the same effect as when originally taken. This is known as TOLERANCE. Talk with your doctor if Liquadd Solution stops working well. Do not take more than prescribed.
Some people who use Liquadd Solution for a long time may develop a need to continue taking it. People who take high doses are also at risk. This is known as DEPENDENCE or addiction. If you suddenly stop taking Liquadd Solution, you may experience WITHDRAWAL symptoms. These may include severe fatigue, drowsiness, mood changes, or sleep problems.
Possible side effects of Liquadd Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; dry mouth; headache; irritability or restlessness; loss of appetite; mild weight loss; nausea; nervousness; stomach upset or cramps; trouble sleeping; unpleasant taste.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blurred vision or other vision changes; change in sexual ability or desire; chest pain or tightness; dark urine; decrease urination; erections that happen often or that last a long time; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; muscle pain or weakness; new or worsening mental, mood, or behavior changes (eg, aggression, depression, hostility, thought problems); numbness of an arm or leg; seizures; severe dizziness or headache; shortness of breath; significant weight loss or persistent loss of appetite; sudden vision changes; symptoms of stroke (eg, confusion, one-sided weakness, slurred speech); tremor; uncontrolled speech or muscle movements (eg, tics); unusual weakness or tiredness; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Liquadd Solution:
Store Liquadd Solution at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat and light. Keep in a tightly closed container. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Liquadd Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Liquadd Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Liquadd Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Liquadd Solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Liquadd Solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Liquadd Solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Liquadd Solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Liquadd (dextroamphetamine)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: CNS stimulants