Lidocaine Viscous SolutionPronunciation
Generic Name: lidocaine (LYE-doe-kane)
Brand Name: Generic only. No brands available.
Serious health problems (eg, seizures and heart that stops working) and death have happened in children younger than 3 years old. In these cases, Lidocaine Viscous Solution was not used how it was recommended. Lidocaine Viscous Solution should not be used to treat infants and children with teething pain. Lidocaine Viscous Solution should only be used in children younger than 3 years old when other treatments cannot be used. If using in a child younger than 3 years old for a reason other than teething pain, follow how to give as you were told by the doctor. Discuss any questions or concerns with the doctor.
Lidocaine Viscous Solution is used for:
Temporarily relieving pain of the mouth and throat. It is also used to reduce gagging during certain dental procedures. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Lidocaine Viscous Solution is a local anesthetic. It works by numbing the affected area.
Do NOT use Lidocaine Viscous Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Lidocaine Viscous Solution or other similar medicines (eg, amide-type anesthetics such as dibucaine)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Lidocaine Viscous Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Lidocaine Viscous Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, dizziness) to any anesthetic medicine
- if you are ill or have a mouth or throat injury
- if you have heart problems (eg, irregular heartbeat), liver problems, or kidney problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Lidocaine Viscous Solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Amiodarone, beta-blockers (eg, metoprolol), cimetidine, or mexiletine because they may increase the risk of Lidocaine Viscous Solution's side effects
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Lidocaine Viscous Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Lidocaine Viscous Solution:
Use Lidocaine Viscous Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Depending on the condition being treated, you may need to swish Lidocaine Viscous Solution around the mouth and spit it out, gargle and swallow it, or apply it to the affected area with a cotton-tipped applicator. Carefully follow the directions provided by your doctor for using Lidocaine Viscous Solution.
- Shake well before each use.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- Do not get Lidocaine Viscous Solution in your eyes.
- If you miss a dose of Lidocaine Viscous Solution and you are using it regularly, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Lidocaine Viscous Solution.
Important safety information:
- Lidocaine Viscous Solution may cause drowsiness, dizziness, and blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Lidocaine Viscous Solution with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Lidocaine Viscous Solution before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Lidocaine Viscous Solution may make it difficult for you to swallow. Do not eat anything for at least 1 hour after Lidocaine Viscous Solution has been applied in the mouth or throat area.
- Numbness of the tongue may cause you to bite the inside of your mouth accidentally. Do not eat any food or chew gum while your mouth or throat area is numb.
- Do not use more medicine, apply it more often, or use it for longer than prescribed. Your condition will not improve faster, but the risk of side effects may be increased.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if Lidocaine Viscous Solution can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Lidocaine Viscous Solution while you are pregnant. Lidocaine Viscous Solution is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Lidocaine Viscous Solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Lidocaine Viscous Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with Lidocaine Viscous Solution. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (blisters or sores in the mouth; rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); choking; confusion; dizziness or light-headedness; drowsiness; fainting; mood or mental changes (eg nervousness); ringing in the ears; seizures; slow or irregular heartbeat; slow, shallow, or difficult breathing; sluggishness; tremors; twitching; vision changes (eg blurred or double vision); vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Lidocaine Viscous Solution:
Store Lidocaine Viscous Solution at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Do not freeze. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep Lidocaine Viscous Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Lidocaine Viscous Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Lidocaine Viscous Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Lidocaine Viscous Solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Lidocaine Viscous Solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Lidocaine Viscous Solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Lidocaine Viscous Solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about lidocaine topical
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 102 Reviews – Add your own review/rating