Generic Name: fluocinonide (floo-oh-SIN-oh-nide)
Brand Name: Lidex
Lidex solution is used for:
Treating inflammation and itching due to certain skin conditions. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Lidex solution is a topical adrenocortical steroid. It works by reducing skin inflammation (redness, swelling, itching, and irritation) by a way that is not clearly understood.
Do NOT use Lidex solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Lidex solution
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Lidex solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Lidex solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have any kind of skin infection, cuts, scrapes, or lessened blood flow to your skin
- if you have had a recent vaccination; have measles, tuberculosis, chicken pox, or shingles; or have had a positive tuberculosis test
- if you are taking prednisone or similar medicines
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Lidex solution. Because little, if any, of Lidex solution is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Lidex solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Lidex solution:
Use Lidex solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Apply a small amount of medicine to the affected area. Gently rub the medicine in until it is evenly distributed. Wash your hands after applying Lidex solution, unless your hands are part of the treated area.
- Do not bandage or cover the treated skin area unless directed by your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Lidex solution, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Lidex solution.
Important safety information:
- Lidex solution is for external use only. Do not get Lidex solution in your eyes. If contact is made with the eyes, flush them immediately with tap water.
- If Lidex solution is applied to the diaper area, apply a very small amount and do not use tight-fitting diapers or plastic pants.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Talk with your doctor before you receive any vaccine while you are using Lidex solution.
- Do not use Lidex solution for other skin conditions at a later time.
- Corticosteroids may affect growth rate in CHILDREN and teenagers in some cases. They may need regular growth checks while they use Lidex solution.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Lidex solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Lidex solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Lidex solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); acne-like rash; burning, cracking, irritation, or peeling not present before you began using Lidex solution; excessive hair growth; inflamed hair follicles; inflammation around the mouth; muscle weakness; thinning, softening, or discoloration of the skin; unusual weight gain, especially in the face.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include increased thirst or urination; muscle weakness; unusual weight gain, especially in the face.Proper storage of Lidex solution:
Store Lidex solution at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Avoid temperatures above 104 degrees F (40 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Lidex solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Lidex solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Lidex solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Lidex solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Lidex solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Lidex solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Lidex solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Lidex (fluocinonide topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 9 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: topical steroids
- Lidex cream
- Lidex gel
- Lidex (Advanced Reading)
- Lidex Mild (Advanced Reading)
- Lidex Regular (Advanced Reading)