Generic Name: levocarnitine (LEE-voe-KAR-ni-teen)
Brand Name: Examples include Carnitor and Carnitor SF
Levocarnitine solution is used for:
Treating low levels of levocarnitine in the body and treating patients with metabolism problems that may cause low levels of levocarnitine. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Levocarnitine solution is an amino acid derivative. It works by replacing levocarnitine in the body when your body does not produce enough.
Do NOT use levocarnitine solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in levocarnitine solution
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using levocarnitine solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with levocarnitine solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have kidney problems or seizures
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with levocarnitine solution. However, no specific interactions with levocarnitine solution are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if levocarnitine solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use levocarnitine solution:
Use levocarnitine solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take levocarnitine solution by mouth during or after meals unless otherwise directed by your doctor.
- Levocarnitine solution may be poured into drinks or liquid foods to help prevent taste changes. Finish all of the liquid.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure how to measure your dose.
- Take each dose of levocarnitine solution slowly and space your doses evenly throughout the day.
- If you miss a dose of levocarnitine solution, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use levocarnitine solution.
Important safety information:
- Do not use products containing D,L-carnitine (vitamin BT), which are available without a prescription and in health food stores, without first checking with your doctor.
- Lab tests, including blood chemistry and blood carnitine levels, may be performed while you use levocarnitine solution. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using levocarnitine solution while you are pregnant. It is not known whether levocarnitine solution is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use levocarnitine solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of levocarnitine solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Bad taste in mouth; diarrhea; mild muscle weakness; nausea; stomach cramps; unpleasant body odor; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); seizures.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include severe diarrhea.Proper storage of levocarnitine solution:
Store levocarnitine solution at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not freeze. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep levocarnitine solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about levocarnitine solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Levocarnitine solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take levocarnitine solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about levocarnitine solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to levocarnitine solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using levocarnitine solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about levocarnitine
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 1 Review – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: nutraceutical products