Generic Name: leucovorin (loo-koe-VOR-in)
Brand Name: Generic only. No brands available.
Leucovorin powder is used for:
Reducing the toxic effects of methotrexate and certain other medicines (folic acid antagonists). It is also used to treat certain types of anemia (megaloblastic anemia due to folic acid deficiency) in certain patients, and it is used along with another medicine (5-fluorouracil) to prolong survival in patients with advanced colorectal cancer. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Leucovorin powder is a folic acid derivative. Methotrexate and the folic acid antagonists block the body's production of folate. Leucovorin powder works by replacing folate in the body.
Do NOT use leucovorin powder if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in leucovorin powder
- you have pernicious anemia or other anemia due to low blood levels of vitamin B12
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using leucovorin powder:
Some medical conditions may interact with leucovorin powder. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have blood problems (eg, anemia)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with leucovorin powder. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Fluorouracil because side effects and toxicity, including inflammation of the mouth or severe diarrhea, may be increased by leucovorin powder
- Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole because effectiveness may be decreased by leucovorin powder
- Phenobarbital, phenytoin, or primidone because effectiveness may be decreased by leucovorin powder and seizure frequency may increase in some children
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if leucovorin powder may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use leucovorin powder:
Use leucovorin powder as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Leucovorin powder is usually administered as an injection at your doctor's offices or a clinic. Ask your doctor or pharmacist any questions that you may have about leucovorin powder.
- If leucovorin powder contains particles or is discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged in any way, do not use it.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Dispose of properly after use. Ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain local regulations for proper disposal.
- Do not miss any dose of leucovorin powder. If you miss a dose of leucovorin powder, contact your doctor immediately.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use leucovorin powder.
Important safety information:
- LAB TESTS, including blood methotrexate levels or complete blood counts, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you plan on becoming pregnant, discuss with your doctor the risks and benefits of using leucovorin powder during pregnancy. It is unknown if leucovorin powder is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using leucovorin powder, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of leucovorin powder:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. When used in small doses, no COMMON side effects have been reported with leucovorin powder. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); fainting; seizures.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of leucovorin powder:
Store leucovorin powder at room temperature, 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep leucovorin powder out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about leucovorin powder, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Leucovorin powder is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take leucovorin powder or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about leucovorin powder. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to leucovorin powder. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using leucovorin powder.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about leucovorin
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: antidotes