Generic Name: granisetron (gra-NIS-e-tron)
Brand Name: Kytril
Kytril tablets are used for:
Preventing nausea and vomiting caused by cancer chemotherapy and radiation. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Kytril tablets are a 5-HT3 receptor antagonist. It works by blocking a chemical called serotonin that can cause vomiting.
Do NOT use Kytril tablets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Kytril tablets
- you are taking apomorphine
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Kytril tablets:
Some medical conditions may interact with Kytril tablets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you are allergic to other 5-HT3 receptor antagonists (eg, ondansetron)
- if you have heart problems (eg, irregular heartbeat, conduction problems), blood electrolyte problems (eg, low calcium, potassium, or magnesium), an abnormal electrocardiogram (ECG), or you are receiving chemotherapy that may cause heart problems
- if you have stomach or bowel problems (eg, pain, swelling) or if you have recently had stomach surgery
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Kytril tablets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Apomorphine because the risk of side effects, such as severely low blood pressure or loss of consciousness, may occur
- Medicines that may affect your heartbeat such as antiarrhythmics (eg, flecainide, sotalol), azole antifungals (eg, ketoconazole) or quinolones (eg, ciprofloxacin) because heart rhythm problems may occur. Ask your doctor if you are unsure if any medicines that you take may affect your heartbeat
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Kytril tablets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Kytril tablets:
Use Kytril tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Kytril tablets by mouth with or without food.
- Use Kytril tablets only on the days that you receive your cancer treatment, unless otherwise directed by your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Kytril tablets, contact your doctor immediately.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Kytril tablets.
Important safety information:
- Kytril tablets may cause drowsiness or dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Kytril tablets with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Serotonin syndrome is a possibly fatal syndrome that can be caused by Kytril tablets. Your risk may be greater if you take Kytril tablets with certain other medicines (eg, certain medicines used to treat depression, pain, migraines). Symptoms may include agitation; confusion; hallucinations; coma; fever; fast or irregular heartbeat; tremor; excessive sweating; and nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea. Contact your doctor at once if you have any of these symptoms.
- Kytril tablets should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Kytril tablets while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Kytril tablets, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Kytril tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Agitation; anxiety; constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; headache; indigestion; nausea; stomach pain; taste changes; trouble sleeping; vomiting; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or sore throat; unusual muscle movement.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Kytril tablets:
Store Kytril tablets at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Kytril tablets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Kytril tablets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Kytril tablets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Kytril tablets or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Kytril tablets. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Kytril tablets. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Kytril tablets.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Kytril (granisetron)
- Other brands: Sancuso