Generic Name: sapropterin (SAP-roe-TER-in)
Brand Name: Kuvan
Kuvan solution is used for:
Reducing blood phenylalanine levels in certain patients with phenylketonuria. It is used along with a diet that is low in phenylalanine.
Kuvan solution is a form of BH4. It helps to activate phenylalanine hydroxylase, the enzyme that breaks down phenylalanine in the body.
Do NOT use Kuvan solution if:
- you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, dizziness) to any ingredient in Kuvan solution
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Kuvan solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Kuvan solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have liver or kidney problems, fever, poor nutrition, or loss of appetite
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Kuvan solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Levodopa because seizures, irritability, or overstimulation may occur
- Methotrexate because it may decrease Kuvan solution's effectiveness
- Avanafil, sildenafil, tadalafil, or vardenafil because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Kuvan solution
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Kuvan solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Kuvan solution:
Use Kuvan solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Kuvan solution. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Take Kuvan solution by mouth with a meal.
- Empty the contents of the packet in 4 to 8 oz (120 to 240 mL) of water or apple juice. Allow the powder to dissolve completely. Drink the mixture within 30 minutes. Take Kuvan solution at about the same time each day.
- Kuvan solution may also be mixed in a small amount of soft food like applesauce or pudding.
- Continue to take Kuvan solution even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Kuvan solution, take it as soon as you remember that day. If you remember on the next day, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses on the same day.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Kuvan solution.
Important safety information:
- Follow the diet program given to you by your health care provider. Do not make any changes to your dietary phenylalanine intake without discussing it with your doctor first.
- If you have a fever or you are sick, your blood phenylalanine level may go up. Contact your doctor as soon as possible if this occurs. Your dose may need to be adjusted.
- Some people have had low blood phenylalanine levels with Kuvan solution. The risk is increased in children younger than 7 years old. Blood levels that are too low for a long time may lead to serious health problems. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Lab tests, including blood phenylalanine levels and liver function, may be performed while you use Kuvan solution. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Kuvan solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Kuvan solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Kuvan solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Diarrhea; headache; runny or stuffy nose; sore throat; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; wheezing); black, bloody, or tarry stools; chest pain; coughing; dizziness or light-headedness; fainting; fidgeting or moving around too much; flushing; frequent urination; irritability; seizures; severe or persistent stomach pain, nausea, or vomiting; shortness of breath; swelling of the hands, ankles, or feet; talking too much; vomit that looks like coffee grounds.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Kuvan solution:
Store Kuvan solution at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Kuvan solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Kuvan solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Kuvan solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Kuvan solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Kuvan solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Kuvan solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Kuvan solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Kuvan (sapropterin)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: miscellaneous metabolic agents