Generic Name: Ixabepilone (ix ab EP i lone)
Brand Name: Ixempra Kit
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jul 4, 2019.
- Do not take Ixempra Kit (ixabepilone) with capecitabine if you have liver problems. Very bad and sometimes deadly effects may happen. Talk with your doctor.
Uses of Ixempra Kit:
- It is used to treat breast cancer.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Ixempra Kit?
- If you have an allergy to ixabepilone, Cremophor® EL, polyoxyethylated castor oil, or any other part of Ixempra Kit (ixabepilone).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have a low platelet count or a low white blood cell count.
- If you have liver disease or raised liver enzymes.
- If you are taking St. John's wort. Do not take St. John's wort with Ixempra Kit (ixabepilone). This medicine may not work as well.
- If you are breast-feeding or plan to breast-feed.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Ixempra Kit (ixabepilone).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Ixempra Kit (ixabepilone) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Ixempra Kit?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Ixempra Kit (ixabepilone). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly allergic side effects have rarely happened. Talk with your doctor.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how Ixempra Kit (ixabepilone) affects you.
- You may have more chance of getting an infection. Wash hands often. Stay away from people with infections, colds, or flu.
- If you have upset stomach, throwing up, diarrhea, or are not hungry, talk with your doctor. There may be ways to lower these side effects.
- You may bleed more easily. Be careful and avoid injury. Use a soft toothbrush and an electric razor.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Avoid grapefruit and grapefruit juice.
- This medicine has alcohol in it. Talk with the doctor.
- Talk with your doctor before you drink alcohol or use other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- If you are 65 or older, use Ixempra Kit (ixabepilone) with care. You could have more side effects.
- This medicine may cause harm to the unborn baby if you take it while you are pregnant.
- Use birth control that you can trust to prevent pregnancy while taking Ixempra Kit (ixabepilone).
- If you are pregnant or you get pregnant while taking Ixempra Kit (ixabepilone), call your doctor right away.
How is this medicine (Ixempra Kit) best taken?
Use Ixempra Kit (ixabepilone) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- It is given as an infusion into a vein over a period of time.
- Other drugs will be given with Ixempra Kit (ixabepilone) to help avoid side effects.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Call your doctor to find out what to do.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of infection like fever, chills, very bad sore throat, ear or sinus pain, cough, more sputum or change in color of sputum, pain with passing urine, mouth sores, or wound that will not heal.
- A burning, numbness, or tingling feeling that is not normal.
- Shortness of breath, a big weight gain, or swelling in the arms or legs.
- Chest pain or pressure or a fast heartbeat.
- A heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- Any unexplained bruising or bleeding.
- Feeling very tired or weak.
- Dizziness or passing out.
- Redness or irritation of the palms of hands or soles of feet.
- This medicine may irritate the vein. If the drug leaks from the vein, it may also cause irritation around that area. Tell your nurse if you have any redness, burning, pain, swelling, or leaking of fluid where the drug is going into your body.
What are some other side effects of Ixempra Kit?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Hair loss.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Belly pain.
- Mouth irritation or mouth sores.
- Not hungry.
- Muscle or joint pain.
- Change in nails.
- Change in taste.
- Not able to sleep.
- Weight loss.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Ixempra Kit?
- If you need to store Ixempra Kit (ixabepilone) at home, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Ixempra Kit (ixabepilone), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about ixabepilone
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- En Español
- Drug class: mitotic inhibitors
Other brands: Ixempra