Ionil T shampoo
Generic Name: coal tar (kohl tar)
Brand Name: Examples include Doak Tar and Ionil T
Ionil T shampoo is used for:
Relieving itching, scaling, dryness, and flaking of the skin due to dandruff, psoriasis, and seborrhea. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Ionil T shampoo is a keratolytic. It works by slowing bacterial growth and loosing and softening scales and crust.
Do NOT use Ionil T shampoo if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Ionil T shampoo
- you have a condition that makes you sensitive to sunlight (eg, lupus, allergy to sunlight)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Ionil T shampoo:
Some medical conditions may interact with Ionil T shampoo. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you are using any other treatment for psoriasis, including ultraviolet radiation or a prescription medicine
- if you have eczema
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Ionil T shampoo. However, no specific interactions with Ionil T shampoo are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Ionil T shampoo may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Ionil T shampoo:
Use Ionil T shampoo as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Wet the scalp and hair. Apply the medicine to the scalp, massage into a lather, and allow it to remain on the scalp for 5 minutes. Rinse thoroughly and repeat.
- Wash your hands after using Ionil T shampoo.
- If you miss a dose of Ionil T shampoo, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ionil T shampoo.
Important safety information:
- Avoid getting Ionil T shampoo in your eyes, nose, and mouth. If you get Ionil T shampoo in your eyes, immediately wash them out with cool tap water.
- Ionil T shampoo may be harmful if swallowed. If you may have taken Ionil T shampoo by mouth, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately.
- Do not use Ionil T shampoo on open, raw, inflamed, or infected skin.
- Do not use Ionil T shampoo in or around the genital area, groin, or rectum unless you doctor tells you otherwise.
- Do not use Ionil T shampoo over a large area of your body without first talking to your doctor.
- Do not use Ionil T shampoo for a prolonged period of time without consulting your doctor.
- Ionil T shampoo may cause increased sensitivity to the sun. Avoid exposure to the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Ionil T shampoo. Use a sunscreen or protective clothing if you must be outside for a prolonged period.
- Ionil T shampoo may stain hair, skin, and clothing.
- Do not use soap, detergent, or other shampoo on your hair before or after using Ionil T shampoo.
- Use Ionil T shampoo with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 2 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Ionil T shampoo during pregnancy. It is unknown if Ionil T shampoo is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast feeding while you are using Ionil T shampoo, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Ionil T shampoo:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Itching, burning, tenderness, or redness; sensitivity to sunlight.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); irritation.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Ionil T shampoo:
Store Ionil T shampoo at room temperature between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Keep Ionil T shampoo out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Ionil T shampoo, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ionil T shampoo is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Ionil T shampoo or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Ionil T shampoo. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Ionil T shampoo. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Ionil T shampoo.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Ionil T (coal tar topical)
- Side Effects
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: miscellaneous topical agents