The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Generic Name: hydrocortisone (hye-droe-KOR-ti-sone)
Brand Name: Examples include Hytone and Nutracort
Hytone lotion is used for:
Reducing itching, redness, and swelling associated with many skin conditions.
Hytone lotion is a topical corticosteroid. It works by depressing the formation, release, and activity of different cells and chemicals that cause swelling, redness, and itching.
Do NOT use Hytone lotion if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Hytone lotion
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Hytone lotion:
Some medical conditions may interact with Hytone lotion. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a skin infection, measles, thinning of the skin, tuberculosis (TB), chicken pox, shingles, a positive TB skin test, or have recently had a vaccination
- if you have anal itching or bleeding or genital itching
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Hytone lotion. Because little, if any, of Hytone lotion is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Hytone lotion may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Hytone lotion:
Use Hytone lotion as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Shake well before each use.
- Apply a small amount of medicine to the affected area. Gently rub it in until it is evenly distributed. Wash your hands after applying Hytone lotion, unless your hands are part of the treated area.
- Do not bandage or wrap the affected area unless directed otherwise by your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Hytone lotion, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Hytone lotion.
Important safety information:
- Do not use Hytone lotion for other skin conditions at a later time.
- If you are using Hytone lotion for a rectal condition, do not put Hytone lotion in the rectum using fingers or any mechanical device or applicator.
- Hytone lotion is for external use only. Do not get Hytone lotion in your eyes. If you get Hytone lotion in your eyes, immediately flush them with cool tap water.
- If Hytone lotion was prescribed to treat the diaper area of a child, avoid using tight-fitting diapers or plastic pants.
- Check with your doctor before having vaccinations while you are using Hytone lotion.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Hytone lotion while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Hytone lotion, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Hytone lotion:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Acne; excessive sweating; inflamed hair follicles; loss of skin color; mild skin irritation or dryness; skin wasting; stinging and cracking of the skin; streaks in the skin.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); infection; itching, burning, pain, redness, or swelling of the skin not present before using Hytone lotion; skin thinning and discoloration.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Hytone lotion may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Hytone lotion:
Store Hytone lotion at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Hytone lotion out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Hytone lotion, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Hytone lotion is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Hytone lotion or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Hytone lotion. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Hytone lotion. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Hytone lotion.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.