Generic Name: hydroxocobalamin (hye-DROX-oh-koe-BAL-a-min)
Brand Name: Cyanokit
Hydroxocobalamin kit is used for:
Treating known or suspected cyanide poisoning.
Hydroxocobalamin kit is a form of vitamin B12. It works by binding to cyanide to help remove it from the body.
Do NOT use hydroxocobalamin kit if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in hydroxocobalamin kit
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using hydroxocobalamin kit:
Some medical conditions may interact with hydroxocobalamin kit. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, including hydroxocobalamin or cyanocobalamin; foods; or other substances
- if you have high blood pressure
- if you are on dialysis
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with hydroxocobalamin kit. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines.
Ask your health care provider if hydroxocobalamin kit may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use hydroxocobalamin kit:
Use hydroxocobalamin kit as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with hydroxocobalamin kit. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Hydroxocobalamin kit is given as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic.
- Do not use hydroxocobalamin kit if it contains particles or is not dark red in color, or if the vial is cracked or damaged in any way.
- If you miss a dose of hydroxocobalamin kit, contact your doctor right away.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use hydroxocobalamin kit.
Important safety information:
- Hydroxocobalamin kit may cause your skin to turn red. It is not known if this effect may make your skin more sensitive to sunlight. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths while your skin remains discolored. Skin redness may last up to 2 weeks. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Hydroxocobalamin kit may make your urine turn red. This effect may last up to 5 weeks.
- An acne-like rash may appear anywhere from 7 to 28 days after treatment with hydroxocobalamin kit. This rash will usually go away without treatment.
- Hydroxocobalamin kit may interfere with certain lab tests. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are taking hydroxocobalamin kit.
- Hydroxocobalamin kit should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you were pregnant or think you may have been pregnant during treatment with hydroxocobalamin kit, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using hydroxocobalamin kit while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed after you use hydroxocobalamin kit.
Possible side effects of hydroxocobalamin kit:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Acne-like rash; headache; nausea; red-colored urine; skin redness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); bloody stools; chest discomfort; dizziness; dryness or tightness of the throat; eye irritation, redness, or swelling; fast or irregular heartbeat; flushing; memory problems; pain or redness at the injection site; restlessness; severe or persistent diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, or stomach pain; severe or persistent headache; shortness of breath; swelling of the ankles or feet; trouble swallowing.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of hydroxocobalamin kit:
Hydroxocobalamin kit is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. Keep hydroxocobalamin kit out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about hydroxocobalamin kit, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Hydroxocobalamin kit is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take hydroxocobalamin kit or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about hydroxocobalamin kit. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to hydroxocobalamin kit. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using hydroxocobalamin kit.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about hydroxocobalamin
- Other brands: Cyanokit