Generic Name: hydrochlorothiazide (hye-droe-klor-oh-THYE-a-zide)
Brand Name: Generic only. No brands available.
Hydrochlorothiazide solution is used for:
Treating excess fluid buildup in the body caused by certain conditions or medicines. It may also be used to treat high blood pressure or other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Hydrochlorothiazide solution is a thiazide diuretic. It works by helping the kidneys to eliminate fluid from your body. Exactly how hydrochlorothiazide solution works to treat high blood pressure is unknown.
Do NOT use hydrochlorothiazide solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in hydrochlorothiazide solution or to any other sulfonamide medicine (eg, sulfamethoxazole, glyburide, acetazolamide)
- you are unable to urinate
- you are taking dofetilide or ketanserin
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using hydrochlorothiazide solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with hydrochlorothiazide solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have gout, liver problems, lupus, kidney problems, diabetes, asthma, parathyroid problems, or high blood cholesterol or lipid levels
- if you have low blood sodium, chloride, potassium, or magnesium levels; or high blood calcium levels
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with hydrochlorothiazide solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Cholestyramine, colestipol, or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medicines (NSAIDs) (eg, ibuprofen) because they decrease the effectiveness of hydrochlorothiazide solution
- Barbiturates (eg, phenobarbital), corticosteroids (eg, prednisone), narcotic pain medicines (eg, codeine, morphine, fentanyl), or medicines for high blood pressure because side effects of hydrochlorothiazide solution may be increased
- Diazoxide or nondepolarizing muscle relaxants (eg, tubocurarine) because side effects may be increased by hydrochlorothiazide solution
- Lithium because risk of toxicity may be increased by hydrochlorothiazide solution
- Digoxin, dofetilide, or ketanserin because risk of irregular heartbeat may be increased by hydrochlorothiazide solution
- Diabetes medicines (eg, glipizide, metformin), insulin, or pressor amines (eg, norepinephrine) because the effectiveness may be decreased by hydrochlorothiazide solution
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if hydrochlorothiazide solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use hydrochlorothiazide solution:
Use hydrochlorothiazide solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Hydrochlorothiazide solution may be taken with or without food.
- When you first start taking hydrochlorothiazide solution, it may cause an increase in urine or in frequency of urination. To prevent this from affecting sleep, try not to take any dose later than 6 pm.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure this dose.
- If you miss a dose of hydrochlorothiazide solution, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use hydrochlorothiazide solution.
Important safety information:
- Hydrochlorothiazide solution may cause dizziness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to hydrochlorothiazide solution. Using hydrochlorothiazide solution alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or to perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Hydrochlorothiazide solution may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting. Alcohol, hot weather, exercise, and fever can increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Also, sit or lie down at the first sign of dizziness, lightheadedness, or weakness.
- Before you have any medical or dental treatments, emergency care, or surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are using hydrochlorothiazide solution.
- Hydrochlorothiazide solution may cause high blood sugar (eg, thirst, increased urination, confusion, drowsiness, flushing, rapid breathing, or fruity breath odor). If these symptoms occur, tell your doctor immediately.
- Your doctor may have also prescribed a potassium supplement for you. If so, follow the dosing carefully. Do not start taking additional potassium on your own or change your diet to include more potassium without first checking with your doctor.
- Hydrochlorothiazide solution may cause increased sensitivity to the sun. Avoid exposure to the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to hydrochlorothiazide solution. Use a sunscreen or protective clothing if you must be outside for a prolonged period.
- Patients being treated for high blood pressure often feel tired or run down for a few weeks after beginning therapy. Continue taking your medication even though you may not feel quite "normal." Contact your doctor or pharmacist about any new symptoms.
- LAB TESTS, including kidney function, blood pressure, and blood electrolyte levels, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use hydrochlorothiazide solution with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Hydrochlorothiazide solution is not recommended for use in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using hydrochlorothiazide solution during pregnancy. Hydrochlorothiazide solution is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking hydrochlorothiazide solution.
Possible side effects of hydrochlorothiazide solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Blurred vision; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; inability to keep an erection; lightheadedness especially when sitting up or standing; loss of appetite; nausea; rash or itching; redness of the skin; uncontrolled muscle movement.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); confusion; decrease in amount of urine; drowsiness; gout; inflammation of the pancreas; muscle pain or cramps; rapid or irregular heartbeat; restlessness; seizures; unusual thirst; unusual tiredness or weakness; unusually dry mouth; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions or need medical advice about side effects, contact your doctor or health care provider. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088) or at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org/), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include dry mouth; excessive urination followed by a decrease in amount of urine; lightheadedness, especially upon standing; muscle cramps; weak or irregular heartbeat.Proper storage of hydrochlorothiazide solution:
Store hydrochlorothiazide solution at room temperature between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C) away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep hydrochlorothiazide solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about hydrochlorothiazide solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Hydrochlorothiazide solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about hydrochlorothiazide solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about hydrochlorothiazide
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 102 Reviews – Add your own review/rating