Generic Name: horse chestnut (Not applicable.)
Brand Name: Generics only. No brands available.
Horse chestnut is used for:
Swelling and pain due to varicose veins. It has also been used for the inflammation of hemorrhoids and veins. It may have other uses as well. Check with your pharmacist for more details regarding the particular brand you use.
Horse chestnut is an herbal product. It works by reducing swelling and improving blood flow.
Do NOT use horse chestnut if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in horse chestnut
- you have a history of kidney or liver problems
- you have a stomach or bowel infection or irritation
- you are pregnant or breast-feeding
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using horse chestnut:
Some medical conditions may interact with horse chestnut. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are planning to become pregnant
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with horse chestnut. However, no specific interactions are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if horse chestnut may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use horse chestnut:
Use horse chestnut as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Dosing depends on the use and the source of the product.
- Use as directed on the package, unless instructed otherwise by your doctor.
- Check product labeling carefully. Horse chestnut seed extract is different than whole horse chestnut seeds. Do not use whole horse chestnut seeds. Whole horse chestnut seeds are poisonous.
- If you miss taking a dose of horse chestnut for 1 or more days, there is no cause for concern. If your doctor recommended that you take it, try to remember your dose every day.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use horse chestnut.
Important safety information:
- This product has not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as safe and effective for any medical condition. The long-term safety of herbal products is not known. Before using any alternative medicine, talk with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Keep all doctor and lab appointments while you are using this product.
- Horse chestnut may color your urine red. This is harmless.
- This product is not recommended for use in CHILDREN.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Do not use this product if you are pregnant unless clearly needed. Do not breast-feed while using this product.
Possible side effects of horse chestnut:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dizziness; nausea; stomach irritation; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); fatigue; fever; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms of poisoning from whole horse chestnut seeds include diarrhea; dilated pupils; muscle twitching; paralysis; stupor; vomiting.Proper storage of horse chestnut:
Store at room temperature away from heat, moisture, and light unless otherwise directed on the package label. Do not store in the bathroom. Most herbal products are not in childproof containers. Keep horse chestnut out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about horse chestnut, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Horse chestnut is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take horse chestnut or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about horse chestnut. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to horse chestnut. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using horse chestnut.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about horse chestnut
- Side Effects
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 3 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: herbal products
Other brands: Venastat