The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Histade CR sustained-release capsules
Generic Name: chlorpheniramine/pseudoephedrine (klor-fen-IHR-ah-meen/sue-do-eh-FED-rin)
Brand Name: Examples include Dynahist ER and Histade CR
Histade CR sustained-release capsules are used for:
Relieving symptoms of sinus congestion, sinus pressure, runny nose, and sneezing due to colds, upper respiratory infections, and allergies. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Histade CR sustained-release capsules are an antihistamine and decongestant combination. The antihistamine works by blocking the action of histamine, which helps reduce symptoms such as watery eyes and sneezing. The decongestant promotes sinus and nasal drainage, relieving congestion and pressure.
Do NOT use Histade CR sustained-release capsules if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Histade CR sustained-release capsules
- you have severe high blood pressure, severe heart blood vessel disease, rapid heartbeat, or severe heart problems
- you take sodium oxybate (GHB) or if you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Histade CR sustained-release capsules:
Some medical conditions may interact with Histade CR sustained-release capsules. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat
- if you have a history of asthma, lung problems (eg, emphysema), adrenal gland problems (eg, adrenal gland tumor), heart problems, high blood pressure, diabetes, heart blood vessel problems, stroke, glaucoma, a blockage of your stomach or intestines, ulcers, a blockage of your bladder, trouble urinating, an enlarged prostate, seizures, or an overactive thyroid
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Histade CR sustained-release capsules. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, tolcapone), furazolidone, indomethacin, MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), sodium oxybate (GHB), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may increase the risk of Histade CR sustained-release capsules's side effects
- Digoxin or droxidopa because the risk of irregular heartbeat or heart attack may be increased
- Bromocriptine or hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Histade CR sustained-release capsules
- Guanethidine, guanadrel, mecamylamine, methyldopa, or reserpine because their effectiveness may be decreased by Histade CR sustained-release capsules
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Histade CR sustained-release capsules may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Histade CR sustained-release capsules:
Use Histade CR sustained-release capsules as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Histade CR sustained-release capsules by mouth with or without food.
- Swallow Histade CR sustained-release capsules whole. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing.
- If you miss a dose of Histade CR sustained-release capsules, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Histade CR sustained-release capsules.
Important safety information:
- Histade CR sustained-release capsules may cause dizziness, drowsiness, or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Histade CR sustained-release capsules with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not take diet or appetite control medicines while you are taking Histade CR sustained-release capsules without checking with you doctor.
- Histade CR sustained-release capsules has pseudoephedrine in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has pseudoephedrine in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 5 to 7 days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Histade CR sustained-release capsules may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Histade CR sustained-release capsules. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Histade CR sustained-release capsules may interfere with skin allergy tests. If you are scheduled for a skin test, talk to your doctor. You may need to stop taking Histade CR sustained-release capsules for a few days before the tests.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Histade CR sustained-release capsules before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use Histade CR sustained-release capsules with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using Histade CR sustained-release capsules in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Histade CR sustained-release capsules while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Histade CR sustained-release capsules.
Possible side effects of Histade CR sustained-release capsules:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; excitability; headache; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; trouble sleeping; upset stomach; vomiting; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); difficulty urinating or inability to urinate; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; tremor; vision changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of Histade CR sustained-release capsules:
Store Histade CR sustained-release capsules at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Histade CR sustained-release capsules out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Histade CR sustained-release capsules, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Histade CR sustained-release capsules are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Histade CR sustained-release capsules. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.