The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Generic Name: haemophilus b oligosaccharide conjugate vaccine (hem-OFF-fil-us)
Brand Name: HibTITER
HibTITER is used for:
Preventing infection caused by Haemophilus influenza type B bacteria.
HibTITER is a vaccine. It works by stimulating the body to produce antibodies against the organism that causes the infection.
Do NOT use HibTITER if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in HibTITER, including diphtheria toxoid
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using HibTITER:
Some medical conditions may interact with HibTITER. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of blood clotting problems (eg, thrombocytopenia)
- if you have a fever, an infection, a weakened immune system, or HIV, or you are taking medicines that suppress the immune system (eg, corticosteroids)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with HibTITER. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Immunosuppressive agents (eg, corticosteroids such as hydrocortisone) because the effectiveness of HibTITER may be decreased
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because the risk of bleeding may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if HibTITER may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use HibTITER:
Use HibTITER as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- HibTITER is usually administered as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you are using HibTITER at home, carefully follow the injection procedures taught to you by your health care provider.
- If you miss a dose of HibTITER, contact your doctor.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use HibTITER.
Important safety information:
- If your child has a fever or infection, your doctor may delay giving the vaccine.
- HibTITER may cause fever, irritability, and redness, tenderness, or a lump at the injection site. These symptoms should go away within 1 to 2 days.
- HibTITER is not recommended for use in CHILDREN younger than 6 weeks of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: HibTITER is not recommended for use in pregnant women. If you think you may be pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using HibTITER during pregnancy.
Possible side effects of HibTITER:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Diarrhea; fever; irritability; loss of appetite; prolonged crying; redness, tenderness, or a lump at the injection site; sleepiness; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of HibTITER:
HibTITER is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using HibTITER at home, store HibTITER as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider. Keep HibTITER out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about HibTITER, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- HibTITER is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about HibTITER. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.