Generic Name: propranolol (proe-PRAN-oh-lol)
Brand Name: Hemangeol
Hemangeol solution is used for:
Treating proliferating infantile hemangioma. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Hemangeol solution is a beta-blocker. Exactly how Hemangeol solution works is not known.
Do NOT use Hemangeol solution if:
- your child is allergic to any ingredient in Hemangeol solution
- your child was born prematurely and has not reached the corrected age of 5 weeks
- your child weighs less than 4 Â½ pounds (2 kilograms)
- your child has asthma or a history of breathing problems
- your child has certain heart problems (eg, moderate to severe heart block, uncontrolled heart failure), slow heartbeat (less than 80 beats per minute), or very low blood pressure
- your child has a certain tumor of the adrenal gland (pheochromocytoma)
- your child is at risk for low blood sugar (eg, vomiting or is not able to take feedings)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to your child.
Before using Hemangeol solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Hemangeol solution. Tell the doctor or pharmacist if your child has any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to your child:
- if your child is taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if your child has allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if your child has a history of heart problems (eg, heart failure, slow heartbeat) or low blood pressure
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Hemangeol solution. Tell the health care provider if your child is taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Corticosteroids (eg, prednisone) because the risk of low blood sugar may be increased
- Phenobarbital, phenytoin, or rifampin because they may decrease Hemangeol solution's effectiveness
- Many prescription and nonprescription medicines (eg, used for infections, inflammation, aches and pains, high blood pressure, heart problems, irregular heartbeat, diabetes, prostate problems, blood thinning, thyroid problems, depression, mental or mood problems, immune system suppression, allergic reactions, asthma or other lung or breathing problems, high cholesterol, seizures, multiple sclerosis [MS]), multivitamin products, and herbal or dietary supplements (eg, herbal teas, coenzyme Q10, garlic, ginseng, ginkgo, St. John's wort) because they may interact with Hemangeol solution. Ask the doctor or pharmacist if you are unsure if any of your child's medicines might interact with Hemangeol solution
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask the health care provider if Hemangeol solution may interact with other medicines that your child takes. Check with the health care provider before your child starts, stops, or changes the dose of any medicine.
How to use Hemangeol solution:
Use Hemangeol solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Hemangeol solution comes with extra patient information sheets called a Medication Guide and Instructions for Use. Read them carefully. Read them again each time you get Hemangeol solution refilled.
- Do NOT shake Hemangeol solution before use.
- Use the syringe that comes with Hemangeol solution to measure the dose. Ask the pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure the dose.
- Give Hemangeol solution right into your child's mouth. If needed, Hemangeol solution may be mixed in a small amount of milk or fruit juice and given in a baby's bottle.
- Give Hemangeol solution with or right after a feeding.
- Give doses of Hemangeol solution at least 9 hours apart.
- The dose of Hemangeol solution may need to be changed as your child's weight changes. Have your child's weight checked often. Talk with the doctor before changing your child's dose.
- Give Hemangeol solution on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it. Giving Hemangeol solution at the same time each day will help you remember to give it.
- If your child spits up a dose or if you are not sure your child got all of the medicine, do not give another dose. Wait until the next scheduled dose.
- If you miss giving your child a dose of Hemangeol solution, give it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for the next dose, skip giving the missed dose and go back to your child's regular dosing schedule. Do not give 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Hemangeol solution.
Important safety information:
- Do NOT give more than the recommended dose, change the dose, or stop giving Hemangeol solution without checking with your child's doctor.
- Tell the doctor or dentist that your child is taking Hemangeol solution before your child receives any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- If your child uses epinephrine to treat severe allergic reactions, talk with the doctor. Epinephrine may not work as well while your child is using Hemangeol solution.
- Hemangeol solution may lower blood sugar levels. This is most likely to happen if your child is not taking feedings or is vomiting. Feed your child regularly during treatment with Hemangeol solution. Tell the doctor if your child has a poor appetite. If your child is not taking feedings due to an illness or vomiting, do not give Hemangeol solution until your child is feeding normally again unless the doctor tells you otherwise. Call the doctor or get medical help right away if your child has any symptoms of low blood sugar (eg, pale, blue, or purple skin color; sweating; irritability; crying that is not normal; fast or irregular heartbeat; poor feeding; low body temperature; unusual sleepiness; seizures; breathing stops for short periods of time; loss of consciousness).
- Children with diabetes - Hemangeol solution may hide signs of low blood sugar, such as a fast heartbeat and sweating. Be sure to watch for other signs of low blood sugar. Check your child's blood sugar levels closely. Ask the doctor before you change the dose of your child's diabetes medicine.
- Hemangeol solution may increase the risk of stroke in certain children who have severe problems with blood vessels in the brain, especially children with a large hemangioma that affects the face or head. Discuss any questions or concerns with the doctor.
- Your child's blood pressure and heart rate will need to be watched during treatment. Discuss any questions or concerns with the doctor.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Hemangeol solution is not meant for use in pregnant or breast-feeding women. If you are breast-feeding your child, tell your doctor about all the medicines you are taking. Certain medicines may pass to your child through breast milk and may interact with Hemangeol solution.
Possible side effects of Hemangeol solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Bad dreams; diarrhea; drowsiness; sleep problems; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); agitation; arms or legs feel cold; blue or purple skin color; fainting; fever, chills, or persistent cough; irritability; pale skin color; severe or persistent dizziness or light-headedness; shortness of breath or wheezing; slow or irregular heartbeat; sudden, unusual weight gain; swelling of the hands, ankles, or feet; unusual tiredness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Hemangeol solution:
Store Hemangeol solution at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Do not freeze. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. After opening, throw away any unused medicine after 2 months. Keep Hemangeol solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Hemangeol solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Hemangeol solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your child's symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Hemangeol solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Hemangeol solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Hemangeol solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Hemangeol solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Hemangeol (propranolol)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: group II antiarrhythmics