The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Haley's M-O suspension
Generic Name: magnesium hydroxide/mineral oil (mag-NEE-zee-um)
Brand Name: Haley's M-O
Haley's M-O suspension is used for:
Treating constipation. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Haley's M-O suspension is a laxative. It works by softening the stool and increasing the movement of the intestines, which helps relieve constipation.
Do NOT use Haley's M-O suspension if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Haley's M-O suspension
- you are pregnant
- you have a blockage of the bowels, are bedridden, or have trouble swallowing
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Haley's M-O suspension:
Some medical conditions may interact with Haley's M-O suspension. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have appendicitis, stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, kidney problems, heart failure, rectal bleeding of unknown cause, or if you have had bowel surgery
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Haley's M-O suspension. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Haley's M-O suspension
- Azole antifungals (eg, ketoconazole), bisphosphonates (eg, alendronate), cation exchange resins (eg, sodium polystyrene sulfonate), cephalosporins (eg, cephalexin), mycophenolate, penicillamine, quinolone antibiotics (eg, ciprofloxacin), or tetracyclines (eg, doxycycline) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Haley's M-O suspension
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Haley's M-O suspension may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Haley's M-O suspension:
Use Haley's M-O suspension as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Haley's M-O suspension by mouth on an empty stomach, at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after eating. Take Haley's M-O suspension at bedtime, unless your doctor tells you otherwise. Take Haley's M-O suspension with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL).
- Shake well before each use.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Haley's M-O suspension, take it as soon as you remember. Continue to take it as directed by your doctor or on the package label.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Haley's M-O suspension.
Important safety information:
- Haley's M-O suspension usually causes a bowel movement within 30 minutes to 6 hours of using it. If you do not have a bowel movement after using Haley's M-O suspension, contact your doctor.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 1 week or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Haley's M-O suspension should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is unknown if Haley's M-O suspension can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant while taking Haley's M-O suspension, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Haley's M-O suspension while pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Haley's M-O suspension, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Haley's M-O suspension:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); loss of appetite; muscle weakness; nausea; slow reflexes; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include diarrhea; stomach cramps.Proper storage of Haley's M-O suspension:
Store Haley's M-O suspension at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Haley's M-O suspension out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Haley's M-O suspension, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Haley's M-O suspension is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Haley's M-O suspension or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Haley's M-O suspension. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Haley's M-O suspension. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Haley's M-O suspension.