The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Generic Name: guarana (Not applicable.)
Brand Name: Generics only. No brands available.
Guarana is used for:
A caffeine-containing central nervous system stimulant. It has been used for weight reduction, diarrhea, and headaches. It may have other uses as well. Check with your pharmacist for more details regarding the particular brand you use.
Guarana is an herbal product. It works by providing energy and reducing appetite, which are effects related to the caffeine content of guarana.
Do NOT use guarana if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in guarana
- you are pregnant or breast-feeding
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using guarana:
Some medical conditions may interact with guarana. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are planning to become pregnant
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of irregular heartbeat, heart or liver problems, panic attacks, or sleeping problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with guarana. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Fluoroquinolones (eg, ciprofloxacin) because actions and side effects of guarana, such as increased nervousness and heartbeat, may occur
- Theophyllines because the actions and side effects may be increased by guarana. Theophylline levels may need to be monitored closely. Check with your doctor.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if guarana may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use guarana:
Use guarana as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Dosing depends on the use and the source of the product.
- Use as directed on the package, unless instructed otherwise by your doctor.
- If you miss taking a dose of guarana for 1 or more days, there is no cause for concern. If your doctor recommended that you take it, try to remember your dose every day.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use guarana.
Important safety information:
- Check with your doctor before you begin taking any new medicine, either prescription or over-the-counter. This includes any medicines that contain caffeine.
- Do not take guarana if your doctor has told you to avoid caffeine. Avoid large amounts of caffeine-containing foods and beverages, such as coffee, tea, cocoa, cola drinks, and chocolate.
- This product has not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as safe and effective for any medical condition. The long-term safety of herbal products is not known. Before using any alternative medicine, talk with your doctor or pharmacist.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Do not use this product if you are pregnant. Do not breast-feed while using this product.
Stopping guarana after regular daily use may result in WITHDRAWAL symptoms (eg, anxiety, headache, irritability).
Possible side effects of guarana:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Anxiety; diarrhea; headache; increased urination; nausea; nervousness; shakiness; tremors; trouble sleeping; upset stomach; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); agitation; irregular heartbeat; seizures.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include agitation; irregular heartbeat; irritability; painful urination; seizures; stomach cramps; tremors; vomiting.Proper storage of guarana:
Store at room temperature away from heat, moisture, and light unless otherwise directed on the package label. Do not store in the bathroom. Most herbal products are not in childproof containers. Keep guarana out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about guarana, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Guarana is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take guarana or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about guarana. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to guarana. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using guarana.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.