Guaifenesin immediate-release capsulesPronunciation
Generic Name: guaifenesin (gwye-FEN-eh-sin)
Brand Name: Examples include Hytuss and Organidin NR
Guaifenesin immediate-release capsules are used for:
Relieving symptoms of an unproductive cough and mucus in the chest due to colds, flu, or hay fever. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Guaifenesin immediate-release capsules are an expectorant. It works by thinning mucus (phlegm) in the lungs and making it less sticky and easier to cough up. This reduces chest congestion by making coughs more productive.
Do NOT use guaifenesin immediate-release capsules if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in guaifenesin immediate-release capsules
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using guaifenesin immediate-release capsules:
Some medical conditions may interact with guaifenesin immediate-release capsules. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a chronic cough that occurs with smoking, asthma, chronic bronchitis, or emphysema, or if your cough occurs with large amounts of mucus
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with guaifenesin immediate-release capsules. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines. However, no specific interactions with guaifenesin immediate-release capsules are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if guaifenesin immediate-release capsules may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use guaifenesin immediate-release capsules:
Use guaifenesin immediate-release capsules as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take guaifenesin immediate-release capsules by mouth with or without food.
- Drinking extra fluids while you are taking guaifenesin immediate-release capsules is recommended. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- If you miss a dose of guaifenesin immediate-release capsules and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose. Go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use guaifenesin immediate-release capsules.
Important safety information:
- If cough persists for more than 1 week or is accompanied by a fever, contact your health care provider. A persistent cough could be a sign of a serious condition.
- Some of these products contain phenylalanine. If you must have a diet that is low in phenylalanine, ask your pharmacist if it is in your product.
- Different brands of guaifenesin immediate-release capsules may have different dosing instructions for CHILDREN. Follow the dosing instructions on the package labeling. If your doctor has given you instructions, follow those. If you are unsure of the dose to give a child, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using guaifenesin immediate-release capsules while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using guaifenesin immediate-release capsules, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of guaifenesin immediate-release capsules:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of guaifenesin immediate-release capsules:
Store guaifenesin immediate-release capsules at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep guaifenesin immediate-release capsules out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about guaifenesin immediate-release capsules, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Guaifenesin immediate-release capsules are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take guaifenesin immediate-release capsules or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about guaifenesin immediate-release capsules. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to guaifenesin immediate-release capsules. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using guaifenesin immediate-release capsules.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about guaifenesin
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 159 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: expectorants
- Guaifenesin granules
- Guaifenesin liquid
- Guaifenesin sustained-release tablets
- Guaifenesin (Advanced Reading)