Grifulvin V Microsize
Generic Name: griseofulvin (GRIS-ee-oh-FUL-vin)
Brand Name: Generic only. No brands available.
Grifulvin V Microsize is used for:
Treating certain fungal infections (eg, ringworm) of the hair, skin, and nails. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Grifulvin V Microsize is an antifungal agent. It works by making the skin more resistant to fungal growth.
Do NOT use Grifulvin V Microsize if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Grifulvin V Microsize
- you have liver failure or the blood disease porphyria
- you are pregnant
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Grifulvin V Microsize:
Some medical conditions may interact with Grifulvin V Microsize. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, dizziness) to a penicillin antibiotic (eg, amoxicillin)
- if you have liver disease or lupus
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Grifulvin V Microsize. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Barbiturates (eg, phenobarbital) because they may decrease Grifulvin V Microsize's effectiveness
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), cabazitaxel, cyclosporine, oral contraceptives (birth control pills), or ulipristal because their effectiveness may be decreased by Grifulvin V Microsize
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Grifulvin V Microsize may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Grifulvin V Microsize:
Use Grifulvin V Microsize as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Grifulvin V Microsize by mouth with or without food.
- Shake well before each use.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Grifulvin V Microsize for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- If you miss a dose of Grifulvin V Microsize, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Grifulvin V Microsize.
Important safety information:
- Grifulvin V Microsize may cause dizziness. This effect may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Grifulvin V Microsize with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Be sure to take Grifulvin V Microsize for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The fungus could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are taking Grifulvin V Microsize.
- Grifulvin V Microsize may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Grifulvin V Microsize. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- It is important to practice good hygiene during and after use to prevent reinfection.
- Hormonal birth control (eg, birth control pills) may not work as well while you are using Grifulvin V Microsize. To prevent pregnancy, use an extra form of birth control (eg, condoms).
- Lab tests, including complete blood cell counts, liver function, and kidney function, may be performed while you use Grifulvin V Microsize. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Grifulvin V Microsize should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 3 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Do not take Grifulvin V Microsize if you are pregnant. Avoid becoming pregnant while you are taking it. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor right away. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Grifulvin V Microsize, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Grifulvin V Microsize:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Diarrhea; dizziness; headache; nausea; stomach upset; tiredness; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); butterfly-shaped rash on the face; confusion; fever, chills, or sore throat; flu-like symptoms (eg, headache, joint pain); mental or mood changes; numbness, burning, or tingling of the hands or feet; red, swollen, blistered or peeling skin; symptoms of liver problems (dark urine, pale stools, severe or persistent stomach pain, yellowing of the skin or eyes); white patches in the mouth.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Grifulvin V Microsize:
Store Grifulvin V Microsize at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep Grifulvin V Microsize out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Grifulvin V Microsize, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Grifulvin V Microsize is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Grifulvin V Microsize or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Grifulvin V Microsize. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Grifulvin V Microsize. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Grifulvin V Microsize.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Grifulvin V (griseofulvin)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 1 Review – Add your own review/rating