Generic Name: cromolyn (KROE-moe-lin)
Brand Name: Gastrocrom
Gastrocrom concentrate is used for:
Treating mastocytosis, including improvement of symptoms such as diarrhea, flushing, headaches, vomiting, hives, stomach pain, nausea, and itching in some patients. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Gastrocrom concentrate is a mast cell stabilizer. It works by preventing the mast cells of the body from releasing substances that cause symptoms of mastocytosis.
Do NOT use Gastrocrom concentrate if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Gastrocrom concentrate
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Gastrocrom concentrate:
Some medical conditions may interact with Gastrocrom concentrate. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have liver or kidney problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Gastrocrom concentrate. However, no specific interactions with Gastrocrom concentrate are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Gastrocrom concentrate may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Gastrocrom concentrate:
Use Gastrocrom concentrate as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Gastrocrom concentrate comes with an additional patient leaflet. Read it carefully and reread it each time you get Gastrocrom concentrate refilled.
- Take Gastrocrom concentrate 30 minutes before meals and at bedtime unless directed otherwise by your doctor.
- To use Gastrocrom concentrate, break open the number of ampules prescribed by your doctor and squeeze the medicine into a glass of water. Stir and then drink all of the liquid.
- Do not use Gastrocrom concentrate if it contains particles, is cloudy, or becomes discolored.
- Continue to use Gastrocrom concentrate even if you feel well.
- Gastrocrom concentrate works best if it is used at regular intervals throughout the day as directed. Do not miss any doses. If you miss a dose of Gastrocrom concentrate, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Gastrocrom concentrate.
Important safety information:
- Caution is advised when using Gastrocrom concentrate in CHILDREN younger than 2 years of age because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Gastrocrom concentrate during pregnancy. It is unknown if Gastrocrom concentrate is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding, check with your doctor to discuss the benefits and risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Gastrocrom concentrate:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Diarrhea; headache; nausea.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; fast or irregular heartbeat; hoarseness; mental or mood changes; seizures.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Gastrocrom concentrate:
Store Gastrocrom concentrate at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Store ampules in pouch until ready to use. Keep Gastrocrom concentrate out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Gastrocrom concentrate, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Gastrocrom concentrate is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Gastrocrom concentrate or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Gastrocrom concentrate. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Gastrocrom concentrate. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Gastrocrom concentrate.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Gastrocrom (cromolyn)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 2 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Generic Availability