Fostex BPO bar
Generic Name: benzoyl peroxide (BEN-zoyl per-OX-ide)
Brand Name: Examples include Fostex BPO and PanOxyl
Fostex BPO bar is used for:
Fostex BPO bar is a keratolytic agent with antibacterial actions. The effectiveness of benzoyl peroxide appears to be due to its antibacterial, peeling (keratolytic), and drying actions.
Do NOT use Fostex BPO bar if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Fostex BPO bar
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Fostex BPO bar:
Some medical conditions may interact with Fostex BPO bar. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Fostex BPO bar. Because little, if any, of Fostex BPO bar is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Fostex BPO bar may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Fostex BPO bar:
Use Fostex BPO bar as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Wash the affected area with Fostex BPO bar for 1 to 2 minutes. Rinse thoroughly with water and pat skin dry with a clean towel. Wash your hands after using Fostex BPO bar.
- If you miss a dose of Fostex BPO bar, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to you regular dosing schedule.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Fostex BPO bar.
Important safety information:
- Certain acne products that contain benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid can rarely cause serious and sometimes life-threatening allergic reactions or severe irritation. Before first use, you may need to follow certain steps to make sure you do not have an allergic reaction. Use Fostex BPO bar as you were told by your doctor or read the package label. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Use on the skin only. Avoid getting Fostex BPO bar in your eyes, nose, or mouth, on highly inflamed or damaged skin, or on your lips. If you get Fostex BPO bar in your eyes, immediately wash them out with cool tap water.
- Do not apply Fostex BPO bar to raw or irritated skin, including sunburns, or to open wounds.
- Several weeks may pass before you see improvement in your acne. Continue to use Fostex BPO bar for the full time recommended by your doctor. If your acne does not improve or if it gets worse, check with your doctor.
- Talk with your doctor before you use any other medicines, special cleansers, aftershave, or cosmetics on your skin.
- Fostex BPO bar may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Fostex BPO bar. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Fostex BPO bar may cause bleaching. Avoid contact with hair, fabrics, or carpeting.
- Fostex BPO bar should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Fostex BPO bar while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Fostex BPO bar, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Fostex BPO bar:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dryness; feeling of warmth; irritation; itching; mild peeling, redness, or swelling of the skin.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; dizziness; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); excessive burning, itching, redness, swelling, or tenderness of your skin; extreme dryness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include excessive scaling, flushing, redness, or swelling.Proper storage of Fostex BPO bar:
Store at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat and light. Keep Fostex BPO bar out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Fostex BPO bar, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Fostex BPO bar is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Fostex BPO bar or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Fostex BPO bar. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Fostex BPO bar. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Fostex BPO bar.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Fostex BPO (benzoyl peroxide topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating