Generic Name: calcitonin-salmon (KAL-si-TOE-nin SA-mon)
Brand Name: Fortical
Fortical spray is used for:
Treating osteoporosis (fragile or brittle bones) in certain women who have been past menopause for more than 5 years. It should be used along with adequate calcium and vitamin D intake. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Fortical spray is a polypeptide hormone. It works by stopping bone loss and increasing the density or strength of bone.
Do NOT use Fortical spray if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Fortical spray
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Fortical spray:
Some medical conditions may interact with Fortical spray. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Fortical spray. However, no specific interactions with Fortical spray are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Fortical spray may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Fortical spray:
Use Fortical spray as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Fortical spray. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Before priming the pump and using a new bottle, allow the medicine to reach room temperature.
- The pump must be primed before the first use of each new bottle. To prime the pump, hold the bottle upright and press the 2 white side arms toward the bottle until a faint spray is seen. Only prime the pump before the first use of a new bottle.
- Use Fortical spray in only 1 nostril each day. Alternate nostrils every day.
- To use Fortical spray, hold your head in the upright position. Place the nozzle of the pump into the nostril and press the pump firmly towards the bottle. It is not necessary to inhale while spraying Fortical spray.
- Keep track of how many doses you use from the bottle. Do not use more than 30 doses from one bottle, even if the bottle does not appear to be empty. After 30 doses, the pump may not deliver the correct amount of medicine with each spray.
- If you miss a dose of Fortical spray, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Fortical spray.
Important safety information:
- Follow the diet program given to you by your health care provider. Fortical spray works better if used along with calcium and vitamin D. Ask your doctor about appropriate calcium and vitamin D supplements.
- Fortical spray may infrequently cause flushing. Check with your doctor if you develop flushing that is persistent or severe.
- Lab tests, including urine tests and nasal examinations, may be performed while you use Fortical spray. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Fortical spray with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially runny nose or nasal irritation or redness.
- Fortical spray should not be used in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Fortical spray while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while using Fortical spray.
Possible side effects of Fortical spray:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Back or joint pain; headache; runny nose; stuffy nose.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); nasal irritation, soreness, or pain; nosebleeds; sores in nose.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include nausea or vomiting.Proper storage of Fortical spray:
Store new, unassembled nasal spray bottles in the refrigerator, between 36 and 46 degrees F (2 and 8 degrees C). Protect from freezing. Store bottles that are in use at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C), in an upright position for up to 30 days. Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Throw away all unrefrigerated bottles after 30 days. Keep Fortical spray out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Fortical spray, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Fortical spray is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Fortical spray. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Fortical (calcitonin)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 1 Review – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: calcitonin