- In people with asthma, long-acting puffers (inhalers) like Foradil Aerolizer (formoterol inhaler) raise the chance of asthma-related deaths. Talk with the doctor.
- Long-acting puffers (inhalers) like Foradil Aerolizer (formoterol inhaler) may raise the chance of asthma-related hospital stays in children and teens. Talk with the doctor.
- Do not use Foradil Aerolizer (formoterol inhaler) to treat asthma if you are not using a long-term asthma-control drug like a breathed-in steroid. Do not use this drug to treat asthma if your asthma is well controlled by a long-term asthma-control drug.
Uses of Foradil Aerolizer:
- It is used to treat asthma.
- It is used to treat COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease).
- It is used to prevent exercise-induced breathing problems.
- This medicine is not to be used to treat intense flare-ups of shortness of breath. Use a rescue inhaler. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Foradil Aerolizer?
- If you have an allergy to formoterol or any other part of Foradil Aerolizer (formoterol inhaler).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you are allergic to milk, talk with the doctor.
- If you are taking or will be taking another drug like this one.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Foradil Aerolizer (formoterol inhaler).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Foradil Aerolizer (formoterol inhaler) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Foradil Aerolizer?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Foradil Aerolizer (formoterol inhaler). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- If you have high blood sugar (diabetes), Foradil Aerolizer (formoterol inhaler) may sometimes raise blood sugar. Talk with your doctor about how to keep your blood sugar under control.
- Call your doctor right away if your breathing problems get worse, if your rescue inhaler does not work as well, or if you need to use your rescue inhaler more often.
- Do not take more of Foradil Aerolizer (formoterol inhaler) or use it more often than you have been told. Deaths have happened when too much of this type of drug has been taken. Talk with your doctor.
- If you are 65 or older, use Foradil Aerolizer (formoterol inhaler) with care. You could have more side effects.
- Use with care in children. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Foradil Aerolizer (formoterol inhaler) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Foradil Aerolizer) best taken?
Use Foradil Aerolizer (formoterol inhaler) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Follow how to use as you have been told by the doctor or read the package insert.
- To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
- Keep using Foradil Aerolizer (formoterol inhaler) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- Do not use Foradil Aerolizer (formoterol inhaler) more than 2 times in a day. Space doses by about 12 hours.
- For breathing in only by a puffer (inhaler) into the lungs.
- Do not swallow capsule. The contents of the capsule will be inhaled into the lungs.
- Have your puffer (inhaler) use checked with your doctor at each visit. Read and follow facts on how to use the puffer. Make sure you use the puffer the right way.
- Rinse out mouth after each use. Do not swallow the rinse water. Spit it out.
- Put the cap back on after you are done using your dose.
- Do not use a spacer with the puffer (inhaler).
- Use new puffer (inhaler) with each refill.
- If working out or playing sports causes signs, use at least 15 minutes before doing it. Do not take more doses for at least 12 hours.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times Foradil Aerolizer (formoterol inhaler) is taken on an as needed basis for asthma caused by working out. Do not take more often than every 12 hours unless told to do so by your doctor.
See also: Dosage Information (in more detail)
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of high blood sugar like confusion, feeling sleepy, more thirst, more hungry, passing urine more often, flushing, fast breathing, or breath that smells like fruit.
- Signs of low potassium levels like muscle pain or weakness, muscle cramps, or a heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- Chest pain or pressure or a fast heartbeat.
- Very nervous and excitable.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Fast breathing.
- Fever or chills.
- Sore throat.
- Very bad headache.
- Very upset stomach or throwing up.
- Very bad belly pain.
- Change in voice.
- This medicine can cause very bad breathing problems right after you take a dose. Sometimes, this may be life-threatening. If you have trouble breathing, breathing that is worse, wheezing, or coughing after using Foradil Aerolizer (formoterol inhaler), use a rescue inhaler and get medical help right away.
What are some other side effects of Foradil Aerolizer?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Upset stomach.
- Belly pain.
- Loose stools (diarrhea).
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
How do I store and/or throw out Foradil Aerolizer?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store capsules in the original container. Use right after opening.
- Protect from heat.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- This medicine comes with an extra patient fact sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it with care. Read it again each time Foradil Aerolizer (formoterol inhaler) is refilled. If you have any questions about Foradil Aerolizer (formoterol inhaler), please talk with the doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Foradil Aerolizer (formoterol inhaler) or any other medicine. Only the healthcare provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for a specific patient. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Foradil Aerolizer (formoterol inhaler). It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Foradil Aerolizer (formoterol inhaler). This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from the healthcare provider. You must talk with the healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Foradil Aerolizer (formoterol inhaler).
Review Date: February 7, 2018
More about Foradil Aerolizer (formoterol)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 7 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: adrenergic bronchodilators
Other brands: Perforomist