The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Generic Name: vitamin b6/vitamin b12/vitamin d/folic acid with minerals (VYE-ta-min/FOE-lik AS-id/MIN-er-als)
Brand Name: Examples include Folgard OS and TL G-Fol OS
Folgard OS is used for:
Treating or preventing calcium deficiency, bone weakness, and osteoporosis in certain patients. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Folgard OS is a vitamin and mineral supplement. It works by providing extra calcium, certain vitamins, folic acid, and minerals to your body.
Do NOT use Folgard OS if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Folgard OS
- you have high blood calcium levels or severe kidney problems
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Folgard OS:
Some medical conditions may interact with Folgard OS. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances (including soy)
- if you have anemia (eg, pernicious anemia), heart problems, high urine calcium levels, kidney problems, kidney stones, malabsorption problems, or sarcoidosis
- if you are dehydrated
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Folgard OS. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Fluorouracil, levodopa, or oral anticoagulants (eg, dicumarol) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Folgard OS
- Hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), mycophenolate, penicillamine, or phenobarbital because their effectiveness may be decreased by Folgard OS
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Folgard OS may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Folgard OS:
Use Folgard OS as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Folgard OS by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Take Folgard OS with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL).
- Many medicines (eg, used for cancer, infection, high potassium levels, immune system suppression, iron supplements, low blood platelets, osteoporosis, thyroid problems) should not be taken at the same time as Folgard OS; their effectiveness may be decreased. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if your dose of Folgard OS should be separated from your dose of any of your other medicines.
- If you miss a dose of Folgard OS, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Folgard OS.
Important safety information:
- Do not take large doses of vitamins while you use Folgard OS unless your doctor tells you to.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose without checking with your doctor.
- Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has any of the same ingredients that are found in Folgard OS. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Some brands of Folgard OS may contain soy. If you have had an allergic reaction to soy, ask your pharmacist if your brand contains soy.
- Folgard OS should not be used in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Folgard OS while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Folgard OS, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Folgard OS:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with Folgard OS. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Folgard OS:
Store Folgard OS at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Folgard OS out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Folgard OS, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Folgard OS is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Folgard OS or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Folgard OS. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Folgard OS. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Folgard OS.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.