Generic Name: influenza virus vaccine (IN-floo-EN-za)
Brand Name: Examples include FluMist and FluMist Quadrivalent.
FluMist Quadrivalent is used for:
Protecting against certain strains of influenza (flu) in patients 2 through 49 years of age.
FluMist Quadrivalent is a vaccine. It works by stimulating the body to produce antibodies against certain types of flu virus, which helps your body to fight the infection.
Do NOT use FluMist Quadrivalent if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in FluMist Quadrivalent (including egg proteins, gelatin, arginine, or gentamicin) or to egg products
- you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue) to a prior flu vaccination
- you have severe asthma or active wheezing
- the patient is a child or teenager who is also taking a medicine that contains aspirin or another salicylate
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using FluMist Quadrivalent:
Some medical conditions may interact with FluMist Quadrivalent. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a fever, cold, respiratory tract infection, or other infection or recent illness
- if you have immune system problems (eg, HIV, weakened immune system) or you live with someone who has a weakened immune system
- if you have a history of asthma or other breathing problems, or if the patient is a child younger than 5 years old with a history of wheezing
- if you have heart problems, kidney problems, lung problems, or diabetes
- if you are receiving radiation treatment or chemotherapy, or you have recently received or will be receiving any other vaccines
- if you have a history of Guillain-BarrÃ© syndrome or other nervous system problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with FluMist Quadrivalent. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Antiviral medicines (eg, amantadine, oseltamivir, rimantadine, zanamivir) or corticosteroids (eg, prednisone) or other medicines that weaken the immune system because they may decrease FluMist Quadrivalent's effectiveness. Ask your doctor if you are unsure if any of your medicines may weaken the immune system
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if FluMist Quadrivalent may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use FluMist Quadrivalent:
Use FluMist Quadrivalent as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with FluMist Quadrivalent. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- FluMist Quadrivalent is usually given once a year in September, October, or November.
- FluMist Quadrivalent is given as a nasal spray at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- If you have been taking an antiviral medicine to prevent or treat the flu (eg, amantadine, oseltamivir, rimantadine), do not use FluMist Quadrivalent for at least 48 hours after treatment with the antiviral medicine has stopped. Do not take antiviral medicines for at least 2 weeks after you use FluMist Quadrivalent, unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
- Some children may need to receive more than 1 dose of FluMist Quadrivalent. Discuss your child's flu vaccine history with your doctor. Be sure to follow the vaccination schedule provided by your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of FluMist Quadrivalent, contact your doctor right away.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use FluMist Quadrivalent.
Important safety information:
- If you have a fever, cold, respiratory tract infection, or other illness, contact your doctor before you receive FluMist Quadrivalent. You may need to receive your injection at a later time.
- You may "shed" the flu virus for a period of time after receiving FluMist Quadrivalent. If you will be in close contact with someone who has a weakened immune system, talk with your doctor. You may need to avoid contact with certain people who have a weakened immune system for a period of time after you take FluMist Quadrivalent.
- FluMist Quadrivalent is not a cure for the flu. It must be given before you are exposed to the flu in order to be effective.
- FluMist Quadrivalent is only effective for 1 flu season. You will need to receive the flu vaccine each year.
- FluMist Quadrivalent is not effective against all strains of the flu virus. It may also not protect everyone who receives it.
- FluMist Quadrivalent does not protect against other respiratory infections.
- Tell your doctor if you have recently received or will be receiving any other vaccines.
- FluMist Quadrivalent is not approved for use in patients older than 49 years old.
- FluMist Quadrivalent should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 2 years old; the risk of wheezing and hospitalizations may be increased in these children.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using FluMist Quadrivalent while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use FluMist Quadrivalent, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of FluMist Quadrivalent:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Cough; decreased activity, decreased appetite, irritability, or stomach pain in children; headache; mild fever or chills; muscle aches; runny or stuffy nose; sore throat; tiredness; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, throat, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); burning, numbness, or tingling; chest pain; decreased movement of the face muscles; ear pain or discharge; light-headedness; muscle weakness; severe or persistent headache, fever, chills, or sore throat; shortness of breath; symptoms of meningitis (eg, mental or mood changes, nausea, vomiting, sensitivity to light, severe headache, stiff neck); unusual tiredness or weakness; wheezing.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of FluMist Quadrivalent:
FluMist Quadrivalent is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using FluMist Quadrivalent at home, store FluMist Quadrivalent as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider. Keep FluMist Quadrivalent out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about FluMist Quadrivalent, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- FluMist Quadrivalent is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take FluMist Quadrivalent or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about FluMist Quadrivalent. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to FluMist Quadrivalent. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using FluMist Quadrivalent.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about influenza virus vaccine, inactivated
- Influenza virus vaccine
- Influenza virus vaccine intranasal
- Influenza virus vaccine injection
- Influenza virus vaccine Intramuscular (Advanced Reading)
- Influenza virus vaccine recombinant Intramuscular (Advanced Reading)