Generic Name: fexofenadine (FEX-oh-FEN-a-deen)
Brand Name: Allegra
Fexofenadine suspension is used for:
Treating seasonal allergy symptoms such as sneezing, runny nose, itchy throat, or itchy, watery eyes. It is also used to treat hives and skin itching. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Fexofenadine suspension is an antihistamine. It works by blocking a substance in the body called histamine. This helps to decrease allergy symptoms.
Do NOT use fexofenadine suspension if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in fexofenadine suspension
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using fexofenadine suspension:
Some medical conditions may interact with fexofenadine suspension. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have kidney problems or trouble urinating
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with fexofenadine suspension. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Erythromycin or ketoconazole because they may increase the risk of fexofenadine suspension's side effects
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if fexofenadine suspension may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use fexofenadine suspension:
Use fexofenadine suspension as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take fexofenadine suspension by mouth with or without food.
- Shake well before each use.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- Do not drink fruit juice at the same time that you take fexofenadine suspension. Certain fruit juices (eg, grapefruit, apple, orange) may decrease fexofenadine suspension's effectiveness.
- If you take antacids that contain aluminum or magnesium, do not take them at the same time as fexofenadine suspension. Ask your doctor or pharmacist how to take them with fexofenadine suspension.
- If you miss a dose of fexofenadine suspension, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use fexofenadine suspension.
Important safety information:
- Fexofenadine suspension may cause dizziness. It does not usually cause drowsiness when used under normal circumstances at the recommended doses. However, these effects may be worse if you take fexofenadine suspension with alcohol or certain medicines. Use fexofenadine suspension with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Fexofenadine suspension may interfere with skin allergy tests. If you are scheduled for a skin test, talk to your doctor. You may need to stop taking fexofenadine suspension for a few days before the tests.
- Use fexofenadine suspension with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Fexofenadine suspension should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 6 months old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using fexofenadine suspension while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use fexofenadine suspension, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of fexofenadine suspension:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dizziness; headache; stomach upset.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); earache; fever; severe or persistent coughing or vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include unusual or severe dizziness, drowsiness, or dry mouth.Proper storage of fexofenadine suspension:
Store fexofenadine suspension between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep fexofenadine suspension out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about fexofenadine suspension, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Fexofenadine suspension is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- Carry an identification card at all times that says you are taking fexofenadine suspension.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take fexofenadine suspension or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about fexofenadine suspension. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to fexofenadine suspension. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using fexofenadine suspension.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.