The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Feostat chewable tablets
Generic Name: ferrous fumarate (FER-us FYOO-ma-rate)
Brand Name: Feostat
Accidental overdose of iron-containing products is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years of age. Keep this product out of the reach of children. In case of accidental overdose, call a doctor or poison control center immediately.
Feostat chewable tablets are used for:
Preventing or treating low levels of iron in the blood. It also may be used to treat other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Feostat chewable tablets are an essential body mineral. It works by replacing iron in the body when the body does not produce enough on its own.
Do NOT use Feostat chewable tablets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Feostat chewable tablets
- you have high levels of iron in your blood
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Feostat chewable tablets:
Some medical conditions may interact with Feostat chewable tablets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have inflammation of the intestines, Crohn disease, digestive problems, ulcers, anemia, or a blood disease (eg, porphyria, thalassemia)
- if you have had multiple blood transfusions
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Feostat chewable tablets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Doxycycline, mycophenolate, penicillamine, or thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine) because the effectiveness of these medicines may be decreased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Feostat chewable tablets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Feostat chewable tablets:
Use Feostat chewable tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Feostat chewable tablets are absorbed better on an empty stomach but may be taken with food if it upsets your stomach.
- Chew thoroughly before swallowing.
- If you are also taking a bisphosphonate (eg, alendronate), cephalosporin (eg, cephalexin), methyldopa, penicillamine, quinolone (eg, ciprofloxacin), or tetracycline (eg, minocycline) along with Feostat chewable tablets, you may need to space the doses several hours apart. Ask your doctor or pharmacist how much time is needed between doses of Feostat chewable tablets and your other medicines.
- Do not take Feostat chewable tablets within 1 hour before or 2 hours after antacids, eggs, whole grain breads or cereal, milk, milk products, coffee, or tea.
- Take Feostat chewable tablets with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL). Do not lie down for 30 minutes after taking Feostat chewable tablets.
- If you miss a dose of Feostat chewable tablets, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Feostat chewable tablets.
Important safety information:
- Do not take large doses of vitamins (megadoses or megavitamin therapy) unless otherwise directed by your doctor.
- Do not exceed the recommended dose or take Feostat chewable tablets for longer than 6 months without checking with your doctor.
- Feostat chewable tablets contains iron. Accidental overdose of iron-containing products is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years of age. In case of accidental overdose, call a doctor or poison control center immediately.
- LAB TESTS, including blood tests and iron levels, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Feostat chewable tablets with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
- Feostat chewable tablets contains iron. Accidental overdose of iron-containing products is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children under 6 years of age. In case of accidental overdose, call a doctor or poison control center immediately.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you plan on becoming pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Feostat chewable tablets during pregnancy. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Feostat chewable tablets, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Feostat chewable tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; darkened or green stools; diarrhea; nausea; stomach upset.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; blood or streaks of blood in the stool; fever; vomiting with continuing sharp stomach pain.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include difficulty breathing; loss of consciousness; seizures; severe nausea; stomach pain; tarry stools; unusual tiredness; vomiting; weak, fast heartbeat.Proper storage of Feostat chewable tablets:
Store Feostat chewable tablets at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Feostat chewable tablets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Feostat chewable tablets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Feostat chewable tablets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Feostat chewable tablets. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.